Houzz Logo Print
morgan_pratt36

Advice on how to transform kitchen fast/budget friendly

Mackenzie M
Год(а)/Лет назад: 4

Hi everyone. Need some quick advice on how to transform this kitchen on a budget.

need to keep the counter tops and fooring ..

what colour our should I paint cabinets and walls? Thanks so much

Комментарии: 30

• PRO
    Filipe Custom Woodwork

It seems as though the cabinets are laminate??

I would paint a neutral greige wall with a fresh backsplash, and new hardware.

I would also change the ceiling light with something that will provide you with more light.

Stay in the 4000K as it will provide you with a natural white lighting as opposed to yellow or blue.

• Buehl

No dishwasher?

• partim

I would paint the walls the same color as the squares in the floor, just a lighter shade. Don't paint the cabinets, but replace the handles as suggested above by katinparadise.

• User
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 4

I think the last cabinet on the right might look better without a door, converted to some open shelves, and to continue with some open shelving above the sink. I agree with the suggestion to change the cabinet hardware, maybe something that compliments the diamonds in the floor.

Since you are keeping the flooring, I suggest making sure your color/tone choices for paint colors on the walls and cabinets don't inadvertently make the floor look dingy or dated. Without being in the room, hard to make suggestions, but something like this would be my taste:

• PRO
    Norwood Architects

I agree with ital mover - if you can change some of the upper cabinet doors to glass that should have a big impact.

• User

Also, maybe take a look at this kind of shelf for over the kitchen sink, depending on what other choices you make for the upper cabinetry.

https://www.houzz.com/products/tignes-wall-shelf-rose-gold-prvw-vr~147127068

• PRO
    Aqua Kitchen and Bath Design Center

Painting cabinets is actually expensive. I would add a backsplash and change countertops with quartz. Change some upper cabinets doors to glass and add open shelving above the sink.

• partim

Mackenzie M any thoughts on these suggestions?

• Ig222

You may want to define budget-friendly (is it a few hundred, a few thousands, more ?) and why you want to update (sell, have a more pleasant kitchen, a special event ???)

I just repainted my kitchen and put a new vinyl on the floor for $400. While it was a pain, it was not that hard (I have about the number of cabinets you have). This said, it is an interim measure until I renovate the kitchen fully. I certainly would not paint the cabinet myself if it was for 10 years or something like that.

You could paint the wall, change the light and handles for less that $1000 if you do it yourself.

• Mackenzie M
    Автор

Love all the ideas, thankyou. i can change the flooring technically. Basically i‘ll be renting this out to my friend and I wanted to make it look as nice as possible for her but under $1000-$2000 max.. what top things can I do within 2 weeks that’ll really update the look of this under that price range. I am willing to change flooring if needed.

• Yesica Jure

I had oak cabinets and I painted them using Reustoleum kitchen cabinet paint from Home Depot. It has been 2 years. I have not had a single issue. I have also used the same paint for 4 bathrooms. In your kitchen I would paint the walls a nice light color to open it up, maybe use subway tile as backsplash, leave the countertop if it is in good shape and get updated appliances. You could also get inexpensive lighting for the top of your cabinets. I did that with lights from amazon, with a special plug and a remote. It is super inexpensive and gives it a nice look.

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images

The fast and cheap way is to paint. First paint the walls, remove decor from walls, then cabinets. Then if you have budget left you can look for flooring or appliances, shelving , etc.

• PRO

Or leave cabinets as they are and paint only walls and get a new floor.

• katinparadise

How much room is to the left of the refrigerator? You might consider moving it down a few feet (even 18 inches would help) and moving the cabinet that's over the top of it. Then you could add something like this between the stove and refrigerator for her to set a microwave on and to keep trash hidden. https://www.amazon.com/Tilt-Wooden-Trash-Cabinet-Solid/dp/B07175SJXC. Then as I said, give the cabinets a good cleaning, change the hardware and light fixture, remove the wallpaper border and paint a nice, neutral color. I would also add something like this from IKEA over the sink for additional storage.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/kungsfors-rails-w-hooks-tblt-stand-container-stainless-steel-s39308254/

• partim

We can't tell from the photo whether the floor and counters are in good condition. If they are, just paint the walls a neutral color that goes with the darker color in the floor.

• shirlpp

In 2 weeks - replace the floor, paint over the blue walls and remove the border.

Then....

Let her live in it for a week or two to see if she wants shelves above the sink.......Good Luck!

• PRO
    Scott Hall Remodeling

Remove wall paper border, paint a neutral color, replace cabinetry hardware, opening up the last cabinet as suggested above and bringing the shelving all the way over the sink is a good idea!

• jbtanyderi

First and foremost, select a wall colour that complements the wood colour: variations on green, orange, yellow should be your first look. Eliminate the border. Look to improving lighting - especially with good under-cabinet lighting.

• PRO
    Century Hardware

Hey Mackenzie M,

remove the wall paper boarder and repaint the walls, Change the lighting to Natural White lighting, and change out your hardware. I would suggest adding cabinet hardware that's either a Satin Nickel or Stainless finish so as not to contrast from your sink and light fixture. Changing to a new hardware would also help to brighten up and refresh the space. You should check out Century Hardware! we have plenty of options in those finishes! Best wishes!

Stainless · Еще

Belvedere 1-3/8" Knob - Matte Satin Nickel · Еще

• User

Use your time to develop a good long term master design plan. Not for changes where you wish you had saved the money instead of spent it.

• partim

Removing the border and repainting is good, fast and cheap.

• Thomas Wadden

I would brighten it by painting the walls and cabinets. You might be able to find a refurbishment store in your area that has cabinets, hardware, or even appliances; $2,000 can go a very long way. Going bright will make it look bigger, kind of like this.

• partim

I love the diagram posted by @live_wire_oak . Painting the cabinets can be good and cheap if you do it yourself slowly. But I don't think you have the time. Painting the cabinets will be pricey if you get someone else to do it quickly. That's why I don't recommend painting them. Replacing them with used cabinets, e.g. from ReStore, has exactly the same payback profile as painting. You don't have the time to do it yourself, and if someone else does it then it's pricey. Leave the floor unless it's in poor condition. Just paint the walls.

• hollybar

Paint the walls, change the hardware, and the lighting. Let friend be part of each decision. If there is room, add dishwasher.

• njmomma

• Mackenzie M
    Автор

Thankyou everyone. I think I’ll leave the cabinets as is, they are in good condition the counters are great too. I’ll put steel handles on them like this: what do you guys think about greige paint for the walls? And what kind of modern light would look good? Thanks

• partim

Edgecomb Gray by Benjamin Moore is a gray/beige that looks good with a lot of different colors. It's a popular color for new builds where the whole house is painted the same color.

• PRO

I like Edgecomb Gray , but be sure with luck of light it looks greenish, that is actually not bad for your kitchen cabinets.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner

If this is a rental I would simply paint the walls, leave the cabinets. No renter is going to be careful not to chip the paint.