Houzz Logo Print
stokes21

Material Around Raised Garden Beds?

D M
Год(а)/Лет назад: 4

Bought a new house that has 4 existing garden beds however, they’re old, unsightly, and poorly placed so we’re replacing them next year. We need to raise and level out that side of the property so we’ll be starting from the ground up.

Currently there is part grass, part mulch between them and not much of either. A lot of work to be done! Anyways. What is the best material to put down between them/on the walkways? I would prefer no grass as it’s just a pain to get the lawnmower in there to cut. And I figured there might be a method to the madness with certain materials that will help the the soil around the beds.

I also have quite a few very well establish raspberry plants. I noticed the previous owner put grass clippings around them. Keep? Or remove all this and put something else down? Ideally I’d like a cohesive look in the entire garden area but at the end of the day, will do what’s best for the plants.

Комментарии: 2

• PRO
    Dave Green Gardens

Quite a few people use wood chip / bark for the paths around vegetable beds, fresh chippings can be put down on the paths when fresh and then after a couple of years lifted and used as a mulch on the vegetable beds. This type of system works quite well in allotment areas when a permanent path isn't needed, a fabric/membrane can also be used under the bark to stop weeds coming though. Could the grass be removed and then just have wood chip paths? Other surfaces are possible (gravel/paving etc.) but a sub-base would need to be installed for these and not sure if that might be too much to do?

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 4

It is not clear, D M, what you want, need, have, or where you are ... so hard to give you specific, meaningful advice. If you are looking to redesign an area, you should show it in pictures -- completely, from end to end. And spell out the specific goals (the benefits you expect to have after the transformation is completed.)

It is confusing and difficult to work on an entire property in print and online. Choose a single area -- such as front yard -- and start with that. To take pictures for that, stand at the city walk, or curb, with the camera in line with front door, and take a series of slightly overlapping pictures that pan the ENTIRE FRONT YARD from left to right. Pictures are free so don't be afraid to show us the front corners, too. Don't substitute a computer generated panorama as it will be too small to show detail. Take the pictures when there is good light .... no dark shadows. Also, if the area has tall trees or if the house is tall, turn the camera sideways to use a portrait/vertical format.

99% of people giving advice here will advise you not to use weed barrier fabric as it doesn't work for long and causes complications in other ways.

Sponsored