Houzz Logo Print
kevin6958

Cold weather care advice

Kevin Childress (zone 7b)
Год(а)/Лет назад: 4

Looking for advice on how to best care for these plants during cold weather. I've lost the ID tags for these but I suppose both are succulents. I remember the large potted plant (growing to ~ 3' x 3') is an African plant but don't remember the name. Is it recommended to bring these plants indoors during winter? Maybe once the night temps start holding in the 50s?

Thanks,

Kevin

Комментарии: 3

• PRO
    Dave Green Gardens

The top plant looks like Portulacaria afra and the other one is a type of Echeveria, i think Echeveria agavoidies. I'm in the UK and so use the plant profiles from the RHS which gives recommended low temperatures of 50F for the Portulcaria and about 35-40F for the Echeveria. Over winter its usually best to store the plants somewhere that stays frost free but isn't too hot from central heating and so somewhere like a conservatory or enclosed porch is normally best. Hope that helps :)

• Kevin Childress (zone 7b)
    Автор

Brilliant! I'm seeing reference to the Portulacaria afra as an elephant bush and now I do remember that name being on the plant's tag. I greatly appreciate the help!

• Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA

The bottom succulent looks to be a Graptosedum. They can go to around 30F.

Sponsored