Houzz Logo Print
sierra_p67

Beginner gardener

sierra_p67
Год(а)/Лет назад: 4

Hey guys, I’m a beginner gardener, my boyfriend and I just moved to a new house that currently has a fenced garden area and we want to start gardening but don't know much about anything we are looking for tips and info

Комментарии: 9

• PRO
    Dave Green Gardens

Great to hear about the new garden space and brilliant that your interested in what can be done with it. There's some good guides to quite a few different aspects of gardening provided by the RHS (Royal Horticultural Society). Have a look at this page: https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/get-growing and see what you think.

• sierra_p67
    Автор
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 4

Callirhoe123

I’m located in northern B.C. looking to grow veggies my neighbor has a garden and grows tons so I know it’s possible as said before we are zone 4

• callirhoe123

Here's a resource to get you started. Plan now for the spring. https://vancouversun.com/news/staff-blogs/vegetable-gardening-for-beginners

• windberry zone5a BCCanada

You will have to start your preparations now. Start small. Turn your soil upside down and cover it with tarp to prevent the weeds from coming back too soon. See what your neighbour grows and follow him. Learn as you go.

What kind of soil do you have? Is it native soil? Is it clay, loam or sandy? What is your drainage and sun exposure? What grows there now?

Do you plan to grow organically? If so, start gathering organic materials. Fallen leaves are great composting material. Collect as many as you can. Do you have your own grass clippings? Ask your neighbours if they can give you theirs. It is never too much,

• sierra_p67
    Автор

I don’t know what the soil is. It was here already in place when we got here. All I know is that it’s super soft when you walk on it. If you dig deep enough there is like a coppery coloured soil under it. It’s got a ton of weeds growing in it but other than the weeds it’s super soft to dig up. It’s soil of some sort...

• callirhoe123

Do you have an agricultural extension service that does soil tests? They can help.

• sierra_p67
    Автор

I live in a town of maybe 2000 people I doubt it

• windberry zone5a BCCanada

From your description I would guess you have fertile, loamy soil there. You don't need soil test, trying to improve soil without experience can do much more harm than good. Besides, there is no need for improvement, it looks like plants (weeds are plants, too!) grow well there. Now, do you plan to grow organically, or to use synthetic fertilizers? In any case, you should already start preparing your soil for planting in the spring. Have you decided what do you like to grow? Were exactly do you live?