Houzz Logo Print
webuser_534363878

Help with ugly house exterior

Erica D
Год(а)/Лет назад: 4

Hi, I’m wondering if anyone can help with suggestions on how to improve the exterior of my 1950s ex-council house. It’s a real eyesore I’m afraid! Inside it’s lovely though. I know it’ll never be a pretty house, but any suggestions or ideas would be gratefully received. Thanks!

Комментарии: 18

• PRO
    D O M | Architecture interior

Hi, Erica. I did not understand your question a little. Do you want to add something outside the house? Or would you just like to change the facade?

• PRO
    GOGO STUDIO

You could always give it a good coat of white, change up the windows to a darker frame and change the door to a new modern timber or coloured one.

• PRO
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 4

Brooklyn Heights Addition · Еще

If you will not change the window. It remains only to repaint and decorate them. For example, as in this photo.

Traditional Exterior · Еще

• PRO

But I still think you want something like this.

• Erica D
    Автор

Thank you. We are getting an extension and want to change the windows at the same time- I’m sure new windows will make a difference. I love the look of those in the photo.
    The windows can’t be very big on the left side of the house because the stairs run along this area. There will still be a large area of bare brick.

• Erica D
    Автор

I wish I had that house! I think I have to realistic!

• PRO

If you make an extension, make the windows big.

Yard & Rear Facade · Еще

• PRO

Brooklyn Heights Townhouse · Еще

• Erica D
    Автор

Beautiful.
    Yes, we are getting nice big glass doors at the back and sky lights, it should let lots of light in. The windows at the front will always have to be a bit smaller because of where the stairs are.

• PRO

Yes, Erica. If the budget and the construction of the building allows, you can make large windows. What is behind these small windows on the first floor? Kitchen and bathroom? ))

• Erica D
    Автор

The stairs are behind the very small window on the ground floor and directly above, so there is limited space here.

• PRO

I see

• Catherine Hounslow

I always think a climber growing up the wall improves the look of a house.

• Sam Potter

Is that your front door? Can you paint the house white to match the bit where the door is? And grow climbers up it? It would be really striking covered in Virginia creeper.

• Cath Farrar

Erica, rendering the whole facade in a modern smooth render in a colour you love (dark grey works well if you like it, or a more traditional cream or stone colour) is probably the way to go. It will unify the ugly (sorry!) flat roofed extension with the rest of the house. Then a smart front door with a porch over, providing you’re permitted to come out from the building line. You could even extend the porch over the whole front, which would unify it further. Some tall pots with topiary or small trees, or something like bamboo in them would work well against the rendered walls, and smart lights either side of the front door. Also might be worth asking your builders if they have any suggestions for disguising the flat roof to make it look less, well, flat!
    Good luck with it!
    Catherine

• Catherine Hounslow

You could try window boxes or a trough of plants on a plain wall.

• Erica D
    Автор

Thank you for your suggestions- some are really helpful and achievable. I like the idea of making the house look more uniform. It’s an unusual layout with the front door leading through to the garden and an old coal shed to the left (now a workshop) and the main door into the house on the right. We had the suggestion of changing the orientation of the stairs to move the front door to the front/centre of the house so this is worth considering but will be costly and will compromise on space inside. But definitely bigger windows and some plants, a new driveway and maybe a canopy above the front door. It’s a work in progress!