Houzz Logo Print
kerry_russell74

would we be crazy to get rid of our side access?

Kerry Russell
Год(а)/Лет назад: 4

Hello!
We live in a small Victorian semi detached house. We have been investigating extending into the side return. However for all the work I am wondering whether it’s worth taking it up to the boundary. So instead of extending our by 1.3 metres into the side return we could extend 2.5 metres.
I wondered people’s thoughts or experience on this? Is it crazy? Have you done it?

Be great to hear others thoughts.

Thank you!

Комментарии: 11

• Daisy England

Will you have full access to get to the back of the house if you do this? Just thinking of bins etc.

• Jonathan

I’m with Daisy you have to think about what you loose and weigh it up- you won’t bet able to have a window cleaner, if you have s front garden the mower will have to come through the house and if you ever need any maintenance at the back the builders will traipse through your kitchen

• Kerry Russell
    Автор

Good points! One would have to go through the house to get access to the garden if we were to do this. We have a tiny front area which people on our street who are in terrace houses put their bins...

I know it would be inconvenient but I wonder if the % of extra space would be worth it... we have two kids you see!

• Emmanuelle

I personally wouldn’t for the reasons stated above... However, I think leaving 90 cm side path would be enough... which would allow you to extend 1.6 meter (1.3 indoors !) on the side... which would make a difference to an extension!

• Sonia

As someone who lives in a mid terrace with no side access, I would say keep the access! No access is a nightmare, not just for the bins and window cleaner, but any work done to the the home or garden means no access for a lawnmower, skip, workmen etc. My sister has just had a large extension built but she has actually increased the width of the side access passageway to make life easier.

• Kerry Russell
    Автор

Thanks for all your feed in! Maybe a compromise as suggested is worth investing.

• Daisy England

Definitely keep the side access based on what you’ve said.

• Michelle Werry

Another vote for keeping the side access. Like Forzaitalia I lived in a mid-terrace and having to drag anything garden related through the house was a nightmare.

• Sarah U-S

I’m also in a mid terrace, and when we extended into the side return, I was desperate to go up to the boundary. However - we’re in a conservation area so I wasn’t allowed. My architect also suggested it was a good idea to leave a path - and he was sooo right! Our pathway is just wider than our bins - which is really useful, especially as we have a large garden and constantly fill our garden bin.
    It has also proved essential when moving various pieces of furniture - we often end up having to go down the path with large pieces that we can’t get in through the front door...

• Rhian Foley

I've been having the same debate and so glad I read this thread!!! I'd love to see the plans you went with in the end.