Houzz Logo Print
webuser_210078831

Tub to shower conversion - shower base

Dave
Год(а)/Лет назад: 4

Hi all. New here.
Well, I decided to refinish the vanity in my bathroom. Took out the drawers and doors and started to sand them. Then, stood there and looked at it and decided I hated the old, 60's tile behind it so I decided to rip it out. THEN, I turned my head to the tub - same old, 60's tile. You know the rest.
And it all started with a piece of sandpaper.

Now, after ripping out the rest of the tile and the cast iron bath tub I have a bare bathroom.

The question I have for you is... which shower pan to buy. There seems to be a bunch of them from which to choose. I'd like the option of using a shower curtain or doors although that's not mandatory. It's 60"x32". The drain is left and I'm going to have a plumber do that. I'm not interested in tiling the bottom of the shower - just want a pan. Any recommendations? I've looked online and at both Lowes and HD.

Bootz was recommended but I'm concerned about the Styrofoam flexing/compressing. And I've read here that the porcelain on steel will crack easily due to the steel flexing.

The pan will be on slab and it's level.

Thanks!!

Dave

Комментарии: 11

• PRO
    Avanti Tile & Stone / Stonetech

Well, it lasted from the 60's and that ain't bad. Were it me, I would move the drain, pull a mud floor and tile it,,,,but, thats just me.

• Nancy in Mich
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 4

It depends on how much you want to spend. If you have a slab, would it really flex enough to crack porcelain on steel? I have been reading about bathrooms here for at lest 6 years and do not remember ever reading about a steel base cracking.

Price comes into play when you move toward longer lifetimes on shower bases. You can order a Swanstone or Corian or other solid surface base in any color and it will last a lifetime looking good. Ones that are less expensive, like acrylic, lose the gloss and look dingy over time. i would go with porcelain on steel or solid surface.

Here is a thread on this forum that discusses shower bases.

It does not cover acrylic bases, as I think most people on this forum would not use them. It does cover the Onyx Collection, Swanstone, custom made Corian from Grifform, and there is even a link to a definition of Solid Surface and what makes that so special in one of my posts. You can go to the top of this page to the search box and find lots more discussion on them

Installation is very important. Many, if not most, bases are set into a bed of mortar, not just set down on the slab. Look for installation instructions for whatever you are considering.

• PRO
    Sagent Builders

Dave,
    Kohler has a great selection of shower pans, some with low curbs.
    I have installed many and never had an issue with them.

• User

Skip Bootz. It’s junk. Find the right contractor before you do anything else. You’re costing yourself a lot here by not knowing what you don’t know.

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn

We sell acrylic bases all the time. The proper installation is what is needed for any base to last. If you can go to a larger base ( 60 x 34 or 36 ) that would make a nicer shower - HOWEVER that can only be determined by the dimension of other plumbing in the bathroom... It looks like you are on a cement slab. Plumbing can be move bit it is more costly to do so.

I too agree - you have done the removal of everything, now it is time to sit with a pro to really figure out your next steps.

I also agree that Kohler has nice shower bases - so does Fluerco, Maax, Americh - there are several.

Good luck

• cat_mom

We are very happy with the Kohler cast iron shower receptor (pan) in our guest bathroom. It’s very sturdy and has no-slip grips. We used that bathroom/shower while renovating our other two bathrooms, so we know firsthand how comfortable it is underfoot.

• Eileen

Kohler cast iron or acrylic.

• jck910

My Kohler dealer recommended Maxx

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner

Get a ready made base from either Kohler or Maxx

Maxx has this system with tiled walls, ready made base & doors

But Kohler can provide one with a linear drain

Of course American Standard has the linear drain also.

Choreograph Barres need blocking in the walls.

• Design2 girl
    Год(а)/Лет назад: 2

I realize this post is 2 yrs old, but hey Dave, let's see that picture you promised. I am thinking about this same project!