Houzz Logo Print
webuser_306923584

Porch Roof Help

Год(а)/Лет назад: 4
Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 4

Hello. I have a small 1 floor ranch house. I had an aluminum awning over my front porch. I tore it down, and want to build a new roof over the front porch out of wood. I am curious about the best way to attach it to the house. I will be attaching it on the low end of the roof, to the eve. My thought was to remove the front facia board, and replace it with a 2x6, and then attach the new joists to that for the porch. Is this proper? Or should I attach directly to the existing joists (extend them)? The angle will be changing slightly from the pitch of the house roof, to the new porch roof. I am having a new roof put on the whole house this summer, and want to get the porch top built before the roof goes on, so they can shingle it all with the same stuff. Porch roof will be approx 15x8 feet, covering the concrete area. Thoughts?

The gutter will be coming off and will be relocated to the front of the porch.

Комментарии: 2

• millworkman
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 4

You cannot just attached that. You will need to at the very least attach new rafters back to the existing rafters and extend your roof rather than just attempt to attach new in a leanto style. Structurally what you are proposing won't work, at least from what I know. The new and old tie in will require architectural drawings, engineering and permitting. In short it is in no way shape or form as simple as you make it sound.

• PRO
    Wiltrack Construction And Development Group LLC

From a design aspect, you have two options but with the space provided above the door it narrows it down to just one.

I would propose it this way if I was contact to do the job. Remove gutter, fascia board, drip edge. Attach new rafters to existing then transition to the new roof pitch. I will attach a photo of the idea.

Sponsored