Houzz Logo Print
webuser_659505511

Which colour scheme for a wood clad room?

Год(а)/Лет назад: 4
Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 4

We are renovating an old house in Switzerland, the lounge has 3 walls and the ceiling covered in wood cladding, the floor is also wood.

I have to chose a rug, sofa and curtains and need some ideas for a colour scheme. I have been trying to look for some inspiration on design pages and in magazines, but there is just nothing with our level of wood cladding out there. Any ideas?

Комментарии: 10

• PRO
    Renata Drumond Interior Design

Hello,

How exciting! I would consider using a beautiful bold green like the, Farrow & Ball’s ‘Studio Green'. It is a beautiful and bold dark hue that works perfectly alongside natural oak and offers a beautiful modern contrast against white.

Hope this helps!

Best wishes

Renata

Renata Drumond Interiors

659505511 поблагодарил(а): Renata Drumond Interior Design
  • Daisy England

Green shades blend well with timber products.

659505511 поблагодарил(а): Daisy England
  • PRO
    Carrie Cotton Design

What a cool room! Yes, it's a lot of orangey oak but if you stick with paints and furnishing that have either purple, green or blue undertones you won't accentuate the orange...and even help balance it out. Here's an image I found with colors that work with the oak. Also, try to find a larger area rug to help cover up more of the oak floor...and maybe consider adding 2 chairs across from the sofa instead of just one for a more balanced look? Really great room. I can definitely see this room with lots of plants too...hope you have fun with it!

659505511 поблагодарил(а): Carrie Cotton Design
  • PRO
    At No 19

The orientation of the window will have a major impact in terms of natural light, once that is established your choices will become easier.

659505511 поблагодарил(а): At No 19
  • Anthony (Beano)

It’s a tricky one, if I wasn’t thinking of after sales I’d probably smooth plaster the lot and go very contemporary, on a lesser scale paint it but I’ve been to Switzerland quite a number of times and the Swiss love their wood clad interiors, contemporary finish....not just so much, esp in a traditional wooden home perched on a mountain somewhere :-)

659505511 поблагодарил(а): Anthony (Beano)
    Автор

Thank you to everyone for your recommendations! I was thinking grey would be good to cool down all the wood, so will probably go for a grey sofa, maybe a neutral rug (it has to be an oriental one) and some green or blue accents.

Still not decided for curtains...

@Carrie There will definitely be a lot of plants, mostly hanging ones! A second chair is a good idea, thank you!

@AtNo19The windows are north-east facing, a bit of sun in the morning, there is also some light coming through from the attic and the adjoining room (there is a window inside the house - this wall used to be an outer wall before an extension), but it is not a bright room.

@Beano: Smooth plaster was my first choice as well, but we have done that in a few rooms already, and painted the clad in others, we have decided to keep the wood in this room for now, since it is easier and we want to keep a bit of the character of the house.

• E D
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 4

I agree with your plan to keep some of the house’s wood cladding but perhaps you could still consider painting part, say one wall, of the cladding as you perhaps have done already in other rooms (can you share some pics?).

This would negate the ‘sauna’ style while preserving the character but in a more contemporary way.

659505511 поблагодарил(а): E D
  • PRO
    At No 19

You could consider a pale 'fresh green' for the wall. The rug you suggest would look good, but I would avoid a grey sofa in such a dark room with north east facing windows; better to stick to one of the paler neutral shades from the rug. Load the sofa with sheepskins, textured throws and cushions and accessorize to pick up the green accents. House plants if they are practical would be a good addition. I agree a second chair would balance the room. Hope that helps.

659505511 поблагодарил(а): At No 19
  • PRO
    Shahina Mulla

Light neutral colours always work well with natural wood. Light colours will allow free flowing of natural light which will in turn open up your space. After you've created that neutral base you can layer in small bursts of brighter and bolder colours in your furniture and accessories. A dark blue works well with an orangey wood as well as emerald green.

However if you do want a bit colour, try a light green on the walls for a fresh look. Due to the position of the window, amount of natural light and colour of wood, a pale and light colour is the way to go.

659505511 поблагодарил(а): Shahina Mulla