Houzz Logo Print
yasemin_Ozekimci

Kitchen Renovation - Design Help!

Yasemin Ozekimci
Год(а)/Лет назад: 4

Hi everyone,

We are currently knee deep in finalising the kitchen plans for our downstairs renovation; however, I am a bit stuck with floor ideas. We are going for an off white shaker kitchen with a dark blue island (v. Pinterest I know!) We are looking to mix traditional country style kitchen with modern bits and I am not sure which flooring will go with it.

As we are getting underfloor heating fitted we are keen to go with tiles but not sure what effect! I'm torn between limestone (giving it even more of a country house effect - but could be TOO country housy) or dark-ish wood effect.

Any thoughts?

Комментарии: 8

• PRO
    Gravel Hill Lighting
    You can get floor tiles that look like planks of wood!
  • Yasemin Ozekimci
    Автор

Yes I'm between tiles that look like wood and tiles that look like concrete or stone but I can't decide between the too. Am worried that if I go with stone/concrete it might look too traditional as I still want a balance between modern and trad..

Has anyone got experience with travertine ??

• PRO
    Pardon Chambers Architects Ltd

We put travertine in our kitchen because we had an existing travertine floor in part of the space. It's been down a year and still looks good despite not being sealed yet which is definitely recommended and we will do at some point. I'm not sure how it will fare over time regarding maintenance but we have filled the natural holes and pits in the stone so that food doesn't become trapped etc. Also our kitchen units are very simple dark grey with no handles and a timber worktop so this helps to tone down the 'busy'ness of the flooring.

• PRO

Travertine is tricky: the natural fissures in the material are usually filled with a resin and that isn't always very successful. Without knowing exactly what colours you have, It sounds like the you should concentrate on what will work with the blue, and when you've sorted that out, check against the off-white which is probably much more forgiving. If the blue is warmish then go for warmish neutrals etc etc.

• Yasemin Ozekimci
    Автор

The blue is "baltic blue" - so quite dark but warm I would say. When sealing travertine, is this to protect it from food and spills? I've read it discolours easily?

Thank you for your help everyone!! Here is a first draft of the kitchen: Kitchen Draft

• PRO

Yes, definitely seal but find one that doesn't alter the natural colour or finish of the stone.

• PRO
    At No 19

Tiles, perfect for underfloor heating. Natural stone floors are beautiful but not relaxing to live with even when sealed. I’ve only used Limestone once before (in a previous home) and, despite sealing several times found they still stained with occasional spills. There are so many excellent copies now, that would get my vote. Rectified edges, non-riven will give a more contemporary look. Colour wise natural limestone would be good. Or, had you thought of pale to mid grey? If you’ve got floor to ceiling glass, tying colours into outside stone would visually extend the boundaries of your kitchen. Go large format to minimise grout. Hope that helps.