Houzz Logo Print
jen_waite

Need guidance on renovation and adding on a storey! Where to begin?!

Jen White
Год(а)/Лет назад: 4

We need more space! Currently have a single storey 4 bed house in outer eastern Melb. Bedrooms all need to be bigger, we need a wheelchair accessible family bathroom and kitchen renovation. Not sure whether to re-work floorplan, extend a small way and re-work entire floorplan, or add on a level with smaller changes to the ground floor. I'd love someone to come and have a look and discuss our needs as well as help to suggest options and provide some price guides. Any suggestions?

Комментарии: 7

• Jen White
    Автор
    Thanks heaps, sounds like good advice. Rhe trouble I have is not really having much idea what the costs might be. Obviously we’d have to have a bigger budget for going up (at least I assume we’d have to). I think we could probably better utilise the space we have, however it would probably require an entire flor plan rethink. More space on the whole would be the preference, but bigger bedrooms and family bathroom are essential
  • PRO
    Dr Retro House Calls

Dr Retro House Calls offers pre-renovation advice as a stand-alone 2-hour in-home consultation. During a typical consultation we discuss the options, the pros and cons, and ball-park costings, as well as the design, permit and building process. At the conclusion of the process you should have a clear direction about the next steps to take. Please feel free to check out my reviews.

Regards

Dr Retro

of Dr Retro House Calls

• Jen White
    Автор

Thanks Dr Retro, that sounds like exactly what we're after. Not a mid century house though, try turn of the millenium! Is that something you'd still do?

• Kate

Wow sounds like a lot of changes. Also consider demolishing and starting with a clean slate it may be cheaper or sell and buy a better suited house. Post a site plan, floor plan and advise on views etc that are important. You need to collect all this to start a brief

• oklouise

post a plan of the existing house and block of land to invite suggestions ...this can be a good free method of thinking about various options so you can be better prepared when you're ready to employ a professional

• PRO
    Melbourne Design Studios (MDS)

Hi Jen, I agree with previous posters, in particular what MB Design ‡ Drafting were saying : A good professional would definitely be helpful, and once looking at your drawings and your briefing, and comparing the two, would usually be able to give some very good advice just based on that... I'd suggest you have a look at the work of various architects and designers, and see what you like, then contact maybe 2 or 3 and have a chat to see if they'd be happy to give you an initial consultation (either free or for a relatively small fixed fee). Then you have some options as a starting point and can take it from there.

Disclaimer: We do a lot of that kind of work and usually present a few options, wiht all the pros and cons, in an initial phase, and usually our clients find that very helpful and are keen to move forward into a particular direction from there. So I'd expect that kind of approach would be very helpful for you, too :-)

Let me know if you have any questions, happy to help! Good luck with it all !!!