Houzz Logo Print
albanhastings

Curious about builds under trees

alba Hastings
Год(а)/Лет назад: 4

How does one manage to avoid huge roof clearing? Is there a better roof type that makes maintenance simple? We are in our 60's and are looking to build with the least maintenance possible.

Комментарии: 6

• alba Hastings
    Автор

Thanks oklouise but the trees are in the reserve next to our block & cannot be avoided but the steel clad gable roof is most helpful.

• PRO
    Melbourne Design Studios (MDS)

Hi alba. Trees can actually be part of a beautiful design with the right designer/architect. We have just finished a project adjacent to the park, and we designed it all around the trees, with views into the treetops, and trying to bring as much nature into the house visually as possible (as part of a 'biophilic design approach). So I would see them as an opportunity rather than a constraint :-) In terms of low maintenance, that can defitiniely be incorporated, e.g. the right roof pitch (so nothing stays on the roof but comes down itself usually), gutter selection/design (you want it so that no leaves can get stuck in there) etc. It's hard to give general advice, really needs to be considered during the design stage, as it also depends on the distance, type/species of trees, age, etc. Happy to help, feel free to send us an email/pm at MelbourneDesignStudios.com.au

• alba Hastings
    Автор

Thank you for your input and yes I see the trees as an opportunity, hence our purchase of the property. However there are 3 very large gum trees virtually on the fence line and the previous owner informed us recently that he already had 2 limbs actually go through the existing roof. This has left me feeling more than a little nervous about a new build under the circumstances.

• PRO
    Melbourne Design Studios (MDS)

Yeah, I can understand the dilemma. If they are really close and large branches overhang, there is a risk of course that they pose. You could respond to that with the new built and stronger structure (e.g. building in CLT instead of timber frame etc) but of course that will have some cost implications. The other option is to talk to council and ask them to have the limbs reduced (or do it yourself), which is normally your right to do. But of course it'd be nice if you can afford to just build under (or remove for ease of construction and allow them to re-grow over) - like I said it can be done I think , but it will have cost implications... So it's really a balance of wants and needs I think.

• alba Hastings
    Автор

So very true! Costs will be our limiting factor as we are looking for a build into retirement & beyond! Many thanks again!