Houzz Logo Print
sheronbennett

Bedroom decorating advice

sheronbennett
Год(а)/Лет назад: 5

Below is my bedroom as currently is. I currently have Dulux Natural Calico walls and feature wallpaper behind headboard with white curtains. Sadly I can't afford to replace the dark furniture & like the current carpet. There is also a dark wood wardrobe out of sight to left of bed. I like a feature paper above headboard. Any ideas out their for changing current feature wallpaper and curtains. What colour what you do? I'm thinking of blackout roller blind with pole style curtains so have chance to change overall colour. Should I also put feature wallpaper on the wall at end of bed (one where cat is walking in)?

Комментарии: 8

• PRO
    Matchbox Interiors

Hi Sheron! Have you considered painting the wardrobes? I've included some suggestions below from Farrow and Ball. In terms of the feature wall, it really depends on how bold you want to be. I've popped some options below for you from Dulux (quite affordable) that have the floral theme you currently have. hope that helps!

sheronbennett поблагодарил(а): Matchbox Interiors
  • T Gray
    Feature walls that you see when you are in bed are very distracting. Our room had one, done by the previous owner, in a purple and red floral. It was not relaxing at all so I took the steamer to it.

Painting those cupboards in a French grey, removing the frills and changing the wallpaper for a more sprig like Laura Ashley pattern could look very nice. Perhaps tiny lemon accents with the grey?
    sheronbennett поблагодарил(а): T Gray
  • PRO
    Carrie Cotton Design

Hello - I love that wallpaper feature and you have done a nice job matching your bedding to it. As someone who frequently refinishes furniture, painting your wardrobe and vanity would be a BIG job. It would also make a big impact but I don't think you need to go through that - unless you really want too. You could, however, paint your headboard to make that a bit of a focal point with the feature wallpaper...maybe a dark blue or match a colour from the actual wallpaper. I agree with rinq - the woodwork does have a classic feel to it and swapping out the curtains would help. Do you need curtains there for privacy? If not, you might do without them all together...the windows have style to them on their own. Have you considered adding a small print fabric curtain to the wardrobe unit (instead of the plain white?). Then you can add a couple bed cushions and recover your vanity stool in the same print to tie it together...and with a painted headboard. As for feature wallpaper on the other side of the room...I agree with T Grey. I think it would be distracting to the room. Do you have a look or style in mind for the room? xx

sheronbennett поблагодарил(а): Carrie Cotton Design
  • PRO
    User

Absolutely paint the furniture. I'd paint the window frames inside too to match the colour of the walls, or white. The walls and carpet are fine as are your feature wall. I would also lose the pelmet on the curtains as it's quite a dated look.

sheronbennett поблагодарил(а): User
  • sheronbennett
    Автор

Some very helpful comments thank you all. I will definitely change the curtains as agree pelmet outdated. Not sure I could successfully paint all the dark furniture. I do need curtains for privacy & like darkness @ night so would either go blackout liner or add a roller blind behind. I like the idea to match stool & material to wardrobe door. I can't paint headboard as it's leather but could maybe recover with same material. I guess I need to be careful how much pattern I introduce if I keep existing feature paper which I do like But maybe small print as suggested would work. I've taken note not to do a second feature wall in front of bed. One final question, what colour do you all favour for Bedrooms & for my curtains & if I were to change feature paper behind bed?

• PRO
    User
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 5

copper and beige work well with your carpet and walls.

This material for curtains if you like it dark:-

• PRO
    Matchbox Interiors

I love the first option of wallpaper suggested by man about the house. If you decide to keep the feature wall as is, I'd suggest a cream blackout blind. I know cream doesn't seem too "blackout" but we have some and they really work!

In terms of other wallpaper options, I've added a few more below. I get the feeling you like floral patterns but have included a geometric one to add a modern feel. Hope that helps!