Houzz Logo Print
pgorter

Cabinet/Shelf Design around Fireplace

Год(а)/Лет назад: 5

We are building a new house. We are doing a long/short fireplace to reduce the height of the mantel and putting the tv on top. Our current design has bookcases and shelves on either side, not sure I love shelves, feels so 'heavy' in this room to me having so much cabinetry. If i could incorporate floating shelves, I would but that would be starting at floor level. Also working around the two windows.

Комментарии: 5

• Год(а)/Лет назад: 5

It's sort of a personal preference. I like your plans but I prefer the clean look of cabinets (and hidden storage). For example, this...

versus...

• Год(а)/Лет назад: 5

thank you for those pics, very . helpful and agree, shelves not idea. Here is our original inspiration pic our space is wider (but also taller) so it would be a lot of doors.

The second pic is more real to our space but the glass doors don't have the same feel as the first pic. THird pic - doors feel so large! Need a happy medium.

• PRO

Simplify that design. No reason to have brackets to hold up the mantel. FP should extend out further than cabinets.

Don't forget about lighting.

Are all your windows horizontal format, or just these two?

• PRO

Maybe like this instead. All brick, firebox down to hearth, beefed up mantel, changed windows.

pgorter поблагодарил(а): BeverlyFLADeziner
  • PRO

I think it would be great with cabinet doors and no open shelving. Open shelving will clutter up the look, you want the main focus on the fireplace stone and mantel. Overall, it is really nice looking though.

pgorter поблагодарил(а): Inspiration Kitchen and Bath