Houzz Logo Print
rob_charie

Ikea Sofas advice

Rob Charie
Год(а)/Лет назад: 5

Has anyone any experience of having bought Ikea Ektorp sofas? They appear to be very good value but any advice would be good!

Комментарии: 11

• Sonia

I’ve never bought one, but they seem very popular in even the most posh of houses. I like the fact you can buy spare covers. I’m not sure how durable they are, but hopefully someone will read this and let us know!

Rob Charie поблагодарил(а): Sonia
  • obobble
    We have a couple in our family kitchen, just over 3 years old and they are holding up well. They get a lot of use. I wouldn't bother again with a chaise version as it feels too high to put feet up comfortably. They are not that deep of seat so your knees will hang over the edge if you try and curl up, and cushions are quite firm. Our covers are holding up well despite being washed when they're supposed to be dry clean only. I'm not that keen on the colour (him indoors chose it), and think the colour range could be a lot better. I gather you can source covers elsewhere tho. They are fairly tall of seat, and you might struggle to rest feet on floor when sitting if you are not very tall, but not a prob if you put your feet up.
    Rob Charie поблагодарил(а): obobble
  • Rob Charie
    Автор

Thanks for your help, we have had numerous sofas over the years and found the most expensive just didnt wear well despite there only being two of us using them most of the time. Youre right Ikea Ektorp seem to be in many houses featured in high end magazines.

• PRO
    TME Interiors

yea do it ! no harm in an Ikea sofa. My first was a Klippan and I have good memories of it. I often recommend IKEA products if they work with a brief, alongside more costly products

Rob Charie поблагодарил(а): TME Interiors
  • Alix W
    There’s an Australian company called Comfort Works that do new slip covers for IKEA sofas - I’m sure they will do them for Ektorp. I haven’t used them yet, but am planning to. Gives you loads more choice, and I think will make the sofa look way more expensive!
    Rob Charie поблагодарил(а): Alix W
  • PRO
    Andrea Breuer-Weil Interiors

We have had Ektorp sofas and they are unbelievable value for money, timeless and comfortable. Plus you can change the covers if they wear out. I would definitely go for it!

Rob Charie поблагодарил(а): Andrea Breuer-Weil Interiors
  • Rob Charie
    Автор

Thanks everyone, your comments are very reassuring! I have seen the covers that are available on a couple of websites too. We are off to Ikea this week feeling very much more confident that we are not making a bad decision!

• Catherine HW
    Another thumbs up for Ikea sofas from us (Kivik) - BUT one word of advice, from bitter (oh so bitter!) experience: If you’re picking up and bringing home yourself - please check the contents of the boxes before you leave! (Or don’t let he delivery lorry go before you check) We schlepped an hour to Ikea Croydon with a zipvan especially to save on charges and we came home with a box of two left handed arm rests - only realised when we couldn’t work our how we were failing miserably to put it together. Ikea Croydon had then run out of any more of those sofa parts so we then had to schlep all the way to Wembley to pick up replacements (I didn’t want to wait over a week for Ikea to resolve the issue). I jokingly checked the box before leaving that branch, to make sure - once bitten and all... Thank goodness I did! A box of two right handed arms!!!
    Rob Charie поблагодарил(а): Catherine HW
  • Rob Charie
    Автор

Thanks Catherine, living rurally we usually take advantage of the Ikea delivery service which (so far) has been excellent. I hear your pain though, our last Ikea faux pas was to measure the size of the footstool we were buying and deciding it would fit in the car until we realised after buying and getting back to the car that with the packaging the actual size was a lot larger, we then spent time removing packaging much to the enjoyment of other shoppers!

• PRO
    OnePlan
    Having different covers for different seasons makes this such a versatile buy ! Gets the thumbs up from me too !
    Rob Charie поблагодарил(а): OnePlan