Houzz Logo Print
mary_kemp81

Nervous... Want to go for deep colours in the living room

Mary Kemp
Год(а)/Лет назад: 5

We have the classic magnolia lounge and want to revamp it with deep colours on a feature wall and redecorate to match. But I'm nervous - I'm terrible at choosing colours - help!

We have a chocolate brown fabric suite in there - but everything else will change, lights, curtains etc..

We want a feature colour on the wall with the fireplace and then a lighter colour on the other walls.

Thankyou!

Should we paint the fireplace to match?

This is the kind of colour we love -

Grand London Residence · Еще

Комментарии: 24

• Anthony (Beano)
    Seems like you have a decent size livingroom, as I’ve said on posts like this before, go for it, it’s only paint, you can repaint if you don’t like it:-) ambient light belts for smaller windowed rooms that you want to go dark on, I did my living room and love it!
  • PRO
    FAIRFAX FLOORING

That is a beautiful blue colour you have in your mind. Shall work very well with the existing walls and chocolate brown fabric. Also before you paint the wall you can paint an A3 size cardboard and try it in the room.

• PRO
    Philip Clay Kitchen Designs LTD

We love bold dark colours! We agree keep the fireplace a contrast colour, maybe an off white? A brave step but we don't think you will regret it :)

Mary Kemp поблагодарил(а): Philip Clay Kitchen Designs LTD
  • Sonia

Give it a try. I love pastel shades but recently painted one of my kitchen walls navy (Little Greene’s Woad) and I love it. I agree keep the fireplace pale as it will create a wonderful contrast. It’s only paint and can be changed if you don’t like it. There are lots of inspirational pictures here on Houzz and on Pinterest, so worth a look. I think F&B Inchyra Blue would look nice with your sofa, or maybe a deep olive green?

• Sonia

Beano can I ask about the lovely picture of earth above your fireplace? is it a painting or a print? My husband is mad about astronomy and it would make a nice birthday gift for him!

• Anthony (Beano)
    No probs @forzaitalia and thank you :-) believe it or not is a mirror! Don’t get me wrong, you can’t see a lot in it but I’m a big fan of the brand and loved the piece, my sofa, bed and bedside tables are all made by moroso among an few other bits, it’s called the moroso moon mirror, luckily i didn’t pay full retail as they are a bit pricey!
  • Sonia
    @beano of course it’s the moon! It’s lovely but a bit out of my price range, for now anyway.
  • Mary Kemp
    Автор
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 5

Thanks for all the feedback - cream and deep blue it is :)

I'll keep the fireplace pale - going for a cosy, opulent feel.

@beano I love your idea of the LED strips - thanks

• Anthony (Beano)
    Sorry Mary, would love to take the credit but you have lost me ,re LED strips?
  • Mary Kemp
    Автор

clearly haven't had enough coffee! Meant the ambient light belts! :) @beano

• Anthony (Beano)
    Bit more ambient lighting :-) exposure on the iPad makes it a lot darker than it really is!
    Mary Kemp поблагодарил(а): Anthony (Beano)
  • Mary Kemp
    Автор

That's a gorgeous room Beano! I love the lighting - have you got the ambient lighting strips on the window frames themselves or hiding somewhere else - I was trying to figure it out from the picture. I now want your room :)

• minipie

Ooh what’s an ambient light belt? Intrigued...

• minipie

Oh and also please could you tell me what colour the walls are Beano?

• Anthony (Beano)
    Lol @ minipie, Ambient lighting belts are when your crap at spelling, Hope the iPad gets it right, doesn’t and puts in belts instead of helps! Lol so, no I haven’t come up with something cool for north facing rooms! Lol, paint is crown celestite washable Matt paint, I’m a BIG fan of this colour and crown paint in general now, I’ve f&b pavilion grey on one wall that goes really well but, think crown is a fantastic paint to use! Excuse the tree, only pic I have to show the contrast of the two colours in the room!
  • PRO
    Catherine Cornelissen

This is going to look excellent! Definitely don't paint the fireplace as it'll create a wonderful, attractive focal point against the blue wall! You could even go for a cream patterned wallpaper, perhaps stripes if you wanted to curate more of an impact in the space!

Mary Kemp поблагодарил(а): Catherine Cornelissen
  • PRO
    Croydon Window Company Ltd

The blue is very modern and lovey colour for your living space. That would look nice on just one wall and perhaps if poss can you get new sofa covers?

• Juliet Docherty

Beano's Crown Celestite paint looks great. Here it is with a dirty pink too.

• Anthony (Beano)
    Thanks @colourhappy :-) I know I bang on a bit about it but it is a fantastic grey for anyone wanting to go dark but afraid of it feeling really cold, I tried loads but this one hit the spot for me, I originally got it as a premixed colour from Homebase, done a wall and loved it, they discontinued it and I then discovered that you can get it mixed! The scrubbable Matt takes so much abuse, usually any dark coloured paint that you wipe can leave water marks, not this, I’ve scrubbed grease of it that accidentally splashed on it and no issues! Big head up for crown paint in general, esp the scrubbable range, covers so well and lovely to paint with.
  • PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images

Some ideas

• PRO
    Sara Slade Interiors

A dark navy or green would look perfect in your space. Keep all the walls the same shade - painting the others a different shade would be a mistake.

• PRO
    BoConcept Manchester

We would definitely recommend painting all your walls the same colour, feature walls when painting are a thing of the past.

Although Green and Navy are the new classic colours and really popular right now, this year spice colours will be huge. Colours like Nutmeg, Ginger and Cinnamon will add warmth and depth to your interiors.

A cinnamon tint to your walls combined with clean lines of your sofa will help you when choosing your accent pieces of furniture. Wood finishes like walnut and solid wood pieces of furniture will give an exotic feel to a classic scheme.

https://www.dulux.co.uk/en/colour-details/spiced-honey

• dtheory9

I think as long as the room has lots of light darker colours would look great! I think Midnight Navy by Crown Paints would look great :)