Houzz Logo Print
moonwakemountain

First Home--Where to begin?!

Kelly M.
Год(а)/Лет назад: 5

In the process of buying our first home and I'm overwhelmed just thinking about all of the projects I want to jump into. I know the first step for us will be painting as we're not particularly fond of the green color of the walls, and most of the other rooms have 3 walls of one color and an accent color on the other wall (a bit overdone to do that in EVERY room, in my opinion). The floors will be staying the same, as the sellers just installed new carpet throughout the home and the kitchen have a unique and interesting slate flooring! Here's some advice that I'm looking for, but also just need any general tips as we get started decorating our first home:

• What paint color would you recommend for the kitchen that will look nice with the interesting slate floor? What should I do for a backsplash (that green wallpaper and stuff has got to go!!) I'd also like to paint the cabinets as I'm not really feeling the light brown.
  • We will need to purchase all new living room furniture as we didn't have that kind of space in our apartment, so what would you recommend for this room (18x12ft)? Will have to mount the TV on the wall where the staircase is, under the smoke detector area rather than above the fireplace, so I'm sort of struggling to figure out how furniture would be oriented, etc.? I like the gray color of the walls in the living room so will be painting the wall that the fireplace is on the same gray rather than the beige it is now.
  • What color should I paint the walls in the master bath? Flooring staying.

Thank you in advance for any advice! I am excited to get started!

Комментарии: 23

• everdebz
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 5

Its colors range from gray, blue, green, gold and rust to black --- what colors in your kitchen floor do you like with the cabinets?

Here's a room painted Alexandria Beige:

Custom Craftsman · Еще

Alexandria Beige HC-77 Paint · Еще

• apple_pie_order

Pick your new warm palette first, using the warm-colored hard surfaces as a guide (flooring, fireplace, tile). If it's all too overwhelming, paint the walls with white primer so you are not affected by the old colors. If you have a spare slate tile scrap, put it in the car so you'll have it with you at the paint store.

As for living room furniture, write down your budget for this phase. Writing it down makes it a lot more real and allows you to stick to spending only that much. Then shop around at local stores. January is a traditional furniture sale month.

• shirlpp

If you put your TV on the stair wall you will get all kinds of glare from the windows. Can you put it to the right or left of the fireplace on a nice console?

Consider blown in insulation for more privacy in the half bath.

• Kelly M.
    Автор
    Thank you all for your comments, this is helping me quite a lot! Can’t wait to post pictures once we start making progress!
  • JV
    How exciting for you!
    Definitely get a piece of slate, extra if you have some, of buy a couple new pieces that you can match
  • JV
    *match to what you currently have.

Definitely do as a suggested and carry/bring slate with you to match things up.

It looks like the kitchen overlooks the family room so you might want to start with a light neutral gray to complement what you already have. You can pull both warm and neutral colors from the tile. What are you drawn to?

It’s a good idea to start a collection of colors you like that go well with the flooring. Then you can see where to go.

If you choose to paint the cabinets, don't limit yourself. As shared in the other comment, blue, creams, grays, and more are all found in slate and would look lovely with what you have.

I love the floor plan...and the windows are just great! Congratulations!
    Kelly M. поблагодарил(а): JV
  • Kelly M.
    Автор

@ninigret Is it important to use the same paint company that the sellers used or does it matter? They used Sherwin Williams throughout the home and I'm going to keep the gray color they used, but all the others probably not. So does that mean I need to use SW paint for the other walls as well?

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images

Some ideas

Kelly M. поблагодарил(а): Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
  • PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images

• felizlady
    The slate has the color of the cabinetry among other colors. The counters are dark, and I wouldn’t add another dark color. If you don’t care for the green on the walls, the lightest color in the slate may work for you. White may be too much contrast, but a cream could lighten the room.
    It’s always tempting to try to do six projects in a new home. If you want to start entertaining soon, I would suggest starting with the public areas. Kitchen, living room, dining room and the entry area are enough for now. Don’t rush things. You want to have some time to get a feel for the natural light and how it affects the colors in the rooms and your furniture. It’s winter now, so the sun angle will change when spring comes and the house will feel brighter.
    Kelly M. поблагодарил(а): felizlady
  • Judy Mishkin

no, its not necessary to keep using the same manufacturer except for the paint you want to continue.

• Lyndee Lee
    Begin the process by moving in and living there. Spend time noting the light patterns, the traffic issues, bottlenecks, favorite places, drafts, dips, squeaks, and all the other little things which irrtate or please you. The things you notice up front won't be the same as the ones you see after 6 months or so.

Sure, go ahead and paint over the colors you hate but don't force yourself to make permanent choices immediately. If you decide after a while that your paint colors don't work, remember, it is OK to change your mind, just paint again.
  • felizlady
    Can you replace the mini-backsplash in the kitchen with a full-size backsplash?
    What will go in the empty spot in the kitchen?
  • PRO
    Beth H. :

let me just address the kitchen. with a few inexpensive/minor changes, it could really look nice. I have a slate floor in my kitchen although I have more of the earth tones, you have more of the Indian or Raj slate (has the purple tones to it) .

Picking something that works w/the flooring and the oak will take a few samples! I've posted some grays that lean toward lilac, and other colors that play well w/the purple tones in the slate.

I'd use the Black Garnet on those stools. I love Raindrops on Roses (BM) as it's actually a gray color, but has the slight lilac undertone.

hardware for the cabs. do a brushed silver tone or I like a matte black

remove that backsplash and do something better. (and no, it doesn't have to be white subway tile)

So here's a quick photoshop w/some matte ceramic penny tile in shades of grays/blacks

also gave you a matte black pendant ,faucet and hardware. And a woven wood blind.

you can use all handles or handles and knobs.

And here's one w/the 4x4 glazed black earthenware tiles from CleTile (these also come in the subway or hex pattern). I love this look

another backsplash w/ honed marble in a linear bar mosaic.

I like this black slate tile backsplash against your black countertop and oak cabs. (tilebar.com)

some other choices.

These are basalt subway tiles w/white grout. I really like this choice too.

and glazed brick tiles would also be an option. whites, off white or a black.

Kelly M. поблагодарил(а): Beth H. :
  • silviakunst
    I would paint the entire house a light grey or off white . The kitchen a white with a touch of grey . And leave it with that ! Then you can start . Everything goes with that so you can start decorating and add color where you want or need ...besides your house will be full of life and color , bookshelves , paintings , flowers , and your furniture .. It's hard to tell someone what colors to use ..when one doesn't know the color furniture . But most beautiful homes have a unified color or white or off white to start ....if you like a room that should be cozy ...because there is not much going on in the room ...simply add a warm color ...but it's not the walls that should give color to a home ...it's you , your furniture , your art display , your flowers or drapes ...the sun ...etc. it's a whole package .....not just color . I would stay away from coloring the walls . With that floor ..the lighter colors work best also ...a grey ..a beige ..off white .....enjoy , it looks like a lovely new home and go slow ! Put yourself in it , take your time ...and spend your money wisely .. Once you know your needs !
  • PRO
    JCB Painting

Before and after possibilities for your cabinets. Jcb Painting in Norton, MA.

Kelly M. поблагодарил(а): JCB Painting
  • Kath
    Congratulations on your 1st home!!! Relax and enjoy, try not to rush. As noted by others once you live in the house a while you have a better feel for what works.
    Kelly M. поблагодарил(а): Kath
  • everdebz

Already said? that new wall paint etc...will make black counter ok?

• Kelly M.
    Автор
    thank you all for your advice and color recommendations! You have all provided some wonderful options!
  • Cheryl Smith

If you want the same color as the other 3 walls it is best to use the same brand and color as the original If you can get that from the previous owners. You have the best chance of a good match that way because the base color and sheen of each brand will be a little different. But know that because of possible fading on the current walls it still may not be perfect.

There are so many colors in the slate tile just pick something from it that you like and will look good with the cabinets and counters. I would do the same for the bathroom since it has the same flooring. Green is a terrible color to get right in a bathroom. The reflection will always make you look sick. I couldn't live with that color.

Get a couple small swivel chairs for either side of the fireplace to enjoy sitting by it but also give you the option of turning around and watching tv or joining in on conversation with the rest of the room. Then get a long low console for the tv that will fit on the stair wall or fill the space with builtins. Whatever seating you find comfortable across from it for best tv viewing and a lovesat or a couple more chairs forming an L with that seating.

The Barberry Plan at Villages at Val Vista | Phoenix, AZ · Еще

• Deb Zilch
    I think your island counter might be a guide. and the floor - possibly a blend of both: greige....lightened and not dark.