Houzz Logo Print
glenda_miller31

Kitchen Cabinet Hardware - HELP PLE Help Please! Cabinet Hardware

Glenda Miller
Год(а)/Лет назад: 5
I am the final stages of a kitchen remodel and need advice on choosing the right size of pulls for the drawers. I have several size options but I don't know anything about the guidelines. I've attached a few picture of the kitchen. I'll send pictures that show both options next. Should I go with 10" or 12"? my drawer sizes are 28 1/2, 26 1/2, 25 1/2, 23 1/2. I am fine with using different sizes. I really need help!

Комментарии: 25

• Glenda Miller
    Автор
    what do you recommend?
  • stillpitpat
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 5

We got these and I love them. I got long ones (about half the length of the drawers), but it's really just a personal preference.

https://www.homedepot.com/s/4135%2520pulls?NCNI-5

• Glenda Miller
    Автор
    Pictures showing the two options.
  • K R
    I agree with Maine, the bar pulls get stuck on your clothes every time you walk by. Do the ones that don’t stick out on the sides.
  • Glenda Miller
    Автор
    To Mainenell, I appreciate you pointing this out. I'm sure it was well intended. We have 18 acres and 7 horses. I'm ok with a few pair of ripped jeans.
  • wdccruise

I think the simple, "squareish" pulls the designer used in [this kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/sleepy-hollow-transitional-transitional-kitchen-new-york-phvw-vp~83893256) look nice on cabinet doors that have a similar shapes (but not color) as yours. The pulls look similar to these Hickory Hardware Skylight stainless steel pulls sold at Home Depot. The only thing that looks odd to me is the low mounting on the pulls on the small cabinet doors above the refrigerator (though I understand she mounted them the same way they were mounted on the taller doors) and I wouldn't have put pulls on fake drawers such as the panel below the sink. -- amateur

• Anne Duke
    Imagine you’re walking by with a porcelain platter filled with food or a stockpot of hot water when one of those ends snags a pocket. How do I know?
  • chispa

It has nothing to do with ripped jeans! Imagine you lean in close to the cabinets to pick up a hot casserole. The hooked ends of the pull get caught on part of your outfit as you walk away. You get jolted and the HOT casserole ends up all over the floor and if you are really unlucky, over yourself or someone else.

As far as size, either can work, and it is a matter of taste/preference and kitchen style. Longer than normal pulls look fine in more modern kitchens, but a bit out of place in more traditional ones.

• PRO
    Beth H. :

I like the larger one in your photo. although, I like the closed handles better. those ends always end up catching your shirt or whatever as you walk by.

some similar kitchens to give you ideas

• daisychain Zn3b

You're kitchen looks beautiful. You must be so thrilled. Like beth, I prefer the longer ones you've shown. I was going to say that we have bar pulls and they don't catch on our clothing, but we only have them on the lower drawers. We've got cup pulls on the top drawers so maybe that makes a difference?

• Kendrah

Unlike the two opinions above, I much prefer the shorter handle. Your cabinet fronts have beautiful wood work detail. The long handle competes with that detailed work and makes my eye fight between the lines of the handle and the lines of the drawers. The shorter handle compliments the wood work, is a little pop of metal in the middle of that handsome drawer front. You have a lot of drawers and that many linear inches of handle is a lot of look if you go long.

• Lidia
    Such a personal choice. Perhaps take clear packing tape and try to place different sized hardware on the cabinets and step back and take a look at them all. This way no drilling but you can see what the different sizes would look like.
  • maggieq

A popular recommendation on here in the past is to use pulls that are 1/3 the width of the drawers / height of cabinet doors. We have used the ones you show in two kitchens. Nary a pulled/ripped article of clothing.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH

I have lived with handles that catch clothing, and as others have stated, it isn’t the rips that are the issue, it is being brought to a sudden and unexpected stop that is the problem. And because only some clothing has pockets at the exact wrong height, I can go for months without an issue and then suddenly, I am off balance and there is water or dinner spread all over the floor. I am concerned that as I age, this will become a fall hazard as well.

There must be handles that have a similar clean lines to those you posted such as the ones that stillpat posted way upthread, so based on experience, I would recommend considering them.

BTW, it’s a lovely kitchen.

• Miranda33

I will echo Maggieeq above that the pulls should be roughly 1/3 the width of the drawers. If you are deciding between two lengths, I'll give you the tip that was given to me - make aluminum foil models of the two sizes and hold them up against the drawers. The visual will really help.

Another vote not to get the pulls you have shown, not just cause of the snagging issue, but it's a bit of a dated look. I actually haven't seen those chosen in a while.

Check out Top Knobs Princetonian pulls. They come in a variety of sizes, and if you shop carefully on the internet you can get good prices and holiday deals and coupons.

[A Houzz Listing for Princetonian Pulls, but there are others on the internet[(https://www.houzz.com/products/top-knobs-bar-pull-princetonian-pull-7-1-8-in-brushed-satin-nickel-prvw-vr~131559138?m_refid=PLA_HZ_131559138_1588803778&device=c&nw=g)

• felizlady
    Yes....with narrowish walkways, I would use rounded knobs or curved handles which cannot snag your clothing as you walk past them.
  • Anne Duke
    Watch the sharp edges too, especially when gripping to open a drawer. The handle/pull projection and its interior edge are critical for comfortable use. I agree with the 1/3 length, particularly with deeper drawers. Final appearance is ultimately determined by style not size.
  • Glenda Miller
    Автор
    Oh my goodness! Thank you all for the advice!!! I am truly grateful. Although, I've spent countless hours on Houzz and other sites, I didn't think I would have so many of you help me with this decision. I wish that I would I have asked earlier. The links, pictures and recommendations are very helpful. We've put so much into this that I hate to mess it up now. We moved to a small town that's exploding with growth and getting a kitchen designer was virtually impossible. A year wait at a minimum, maybe more. And, I didn't know anyone, so my hubby probably wishes that I had posted questions earlier more than me.

From the beginning, I've wanted the wood cabinets to be the focal point. I'm also working with 8' ceilings. Every decision has been based on keeping it "open". We've put as much into structural changes and taking out walls, as we have on the kitchen. I definitely don't want the pulls to be the main attraction. You can't see it but behind the wall with the white cabinets is an open butler's pantry with a sink, small under counter fridge, and convection oven. We jokingly say it's my husband's kitchen. He's a messy cook. Joking aside, this is why I only have a few upper cabinets.

Are knob pulls out? I could put them on the first drawers to help reduce the chances of getting hung. Unfortunately, I've already bought boxes of these. I am going try using the clear packing tape test recommendation next.

Thank you! Thank you again for the help! More to come.
  • jeannetteburgess
    I think the low tack painter’s tape is what you want to use. Commonly referred to as “blue tape”.
  • wdccruise

I wouldn't use knobs. Properly-sized handles would look better and all the cabinet doors and drawers are large so knobs would be "lost in the woods". -- amateur

• PRO
    Couture Interior Stylist
    I think the bar pulls are done to death... I’d love to see either brushed brass or black wrought iron these lovely cabinets!
  • Elizabeth Kelly
    Год(а)/Лет назад: 2

@Glenda Miller do you mind sharing a link to your countertops or what they were called?

• stellarceline
    Год(а)/Лет назад: 2

I think the large pulls are trendy and the smallest size are more timeless. But that is already a trendy design so do whatever you like best!

• Alex Turney
    Месяцев назад: 2

We got these they are gorgeous and solid brass. All of the satin brass options are stunning.

https://hapnyhome.com/collections/gold-cabinet-hardware