Houzz Logo Print
crystal_tully

Rug or no rug in dining room?

Crystal Rimoczy
Год(а)/Лет назад: 5
I have a very simple look going in the dining room. This table and chairs and light from Crate and Barrel and a collage wall of beautifully framed black/white old family photos. It needs something else for sure- on one wall, but debating the floor at this point. Rug or no rug?
no
yes

Комментарии: 11

• rebeccamomof123
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 5

Love the classic look. Are you doing any window treatments? what color will your walls be? Is the room open to any other spaces? Going with no rug creates a simple, clean look, but too simple depends on what else is going on around it. Pic of room, please!

For example, here is a simple dining set, with symmetrical collage wall of art and clean lines, and I think the choice of rug, is the show stopper!

• Judy Mishkin

my vacation house doesnt have a rug on the dining room floor, my residence does. i like the vacation home in summer, hate it in winter. dislike my rug at home in summer, love it in winter. so, seasonal maybe?

• Kim M

If you go with a rug you want a very low pile. Something cool that might go with that style is (I don't know the correct name for it) a painted canvas "rug." They generally look kind of scandanavian or folk arty. I'll see if I can find a pic.

• Kim M
    Like these ....
  • PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images

Rug but not so dark as chosen.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting

What size is the space and what size the table pretty basic info before anyone can answer.All the ones Kim shows are too small.

• Alice

We debated this question too. A rug will catch food crumbs and will be a pain to vacuum (try vacuuming under a long table and in and out of table/chair legs!). But we don't have a rug in our house now and the hardwood has all these scratches from the chairs. And this is with those protective pads under the chairs too.

We will be going with a rug in our new house solely for that reason. Scratches are more of a pain to deal with than vacuuming.

• Crystal Rimoczy
    Автор
    It's an awkward shaped room with two openings and angled walls on one side - with the pictures. Need some kind of sideboard but don't know what will fit nicely with this shape!

Going to get room painted soon as I absolutely hate the current color. Also think I'd like white drapes. The big shade was here when we moved in and although I don't love it, it's expensive and it blocks out the front of the house so I like it for now.

After that, I think I am leaning towards a rug to give it a finished look. I prefer minimalistic style, but this room doesn't seem to be able to have that style!
  • Danielle Black
    I think I’d do a rug in this space
    Wool
    Maybe add some color?
  • PRO
    Studio Aubergine Interior Design

A rug will soften the look and feel of the space.