Houzz Logo Print
bielski

Decomposed Granite and Downspouts

Jason Bielski
Год(а)/Лет назад: 5

We added a decomposed granite area to our yard. On the side of the house the gutter downspout empties into a newly installed 4" drain about 3 or 4 inches away. Our landscaper recommended to not directly pipe it to make it easier to access and debris or materials that could clog the downspout. We had our first rain the other night for about 45 minutes. The pressure of the water coming out washed away a chunk of the DG down to the weed barrier down the drain. I can refill it with more DG, does anyone have any suggestions on how to prevent this from happening after every rain. The DG is not stabilized. I've looked at decorative downspout extenders, but there don't fit our round downspout. THANKS!

Комментарии: 10

• User

If the drain is functional, I would connect the drain to the downspout.

Regarding extensions, there are square and round hoses, there are round to square adapters, and square to round adapters.

Jason Bielski поблагодарил(а): User
  • Jason Bielski
    Автор

Thanks Jim, but at this point connecting the drain isn't what I'd like to do. I was thinking something more decorative like a small splash block.

• Jason Bielski
    Автор

Thanks Yardvaark. Any ideas where to get a mold for a small splash block??

• User

Splash block molds are often made from 2x4 lumber.

Splash Blocks are available retail.

Jason Bielski поблагодарил(а): User
  • PRO
    Rebuild

If you are handy with a saw and screw gun, you can build a form out of some melamine shelving or something, strong enough to maintain its shape, but not break apart from the weight of pour. Caulk the inside corners. Its how concrete counters are made. Pour the concrete in, mixed to a flowable slump, and let it sit for a day or two. Unscrew form sides and flip it over. If you want it to be even cooler, line your forms with textured panels or something and it will resemble the pattern. Even a huge maple leaf if your into that type of thing. Its easy don't be scared!

Jason Bielski поблагодарил(а): Rebuild
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC

I'd make the landscaper come out and eat his stupid detail. Geesh.

• tatts

I wouldn't bother with pouring concrete. I'd make a pad out of attractive pavers like slate or bluestone. If it's not in a prime location, you could use standard concrete pavers or bricks. You don't need it to be 100% waterproof; you just need it to withstand the velocity of the water and slope toward the drain.

I'd make sure to caulk the pavers at the point that they meet the drain.

I'd also cover not just the gravel, but I's also extend it to the wall where the river rock is.

• PRO
    Yardvaark

Or easier, buy a regular splash block and cut off the excess length with a skil saw. If it's concrete, you'll have to use a masonry blade, of course.

Sponsored