Houzz Logo Print
bonthony

Furniture placement

bonthony
Год(а)/Лет назад: 10
I'm having difficulty finding a way to place my furniture in my open concept living room, that I'm happy with. I'm open to suggestions for new pieces if furniture for seating. (we are planning to reface the fireplace with stacked stone)

Комментарии: 29

• Olga Brusov
    I would suggest that both sofas switch places with the two love-seats, so that the love seats are on the window-side of the room. Then I would put one sofa parallel to the wall with the photographs and the other directly in front of it (facing each other), while the 2 love-seats will diagonally face the 2 sofas the way they are in picture 3 (but on the opposite side). Place the table in between the 2 sofas. Keep the sofas closer to the wall with the fireplace and the love-seats father back closer to the windows. That will leave more room in between the sofas and the love-seats, which will make the room appear bigger and let more light into the center from your gorgeously large windows. Placing all of the seating space too close together make the room appear smaller, and lets less light in. However, I would not suggest placing the sofa with its back to the windows, like in picture 1.
  • bonthony
    Автор
    I'm having difficulty understanding the suggestion in the last comment. Would you be able to attach a sketch?
  • PRO
    User
    How many people will be using this room? You have a lot of seating for that space. I would recommend placing the sofa against the wall with the chairs opposite. You have the area in front of the fireplace open and then if you need the extra seating, try placing the loveseat facing the fireplace with its back to the window...you are still able to enjoy the natural light. I think the throw or a few more pillows in the green, like the ones on the chair, will look great on the loveseat & sofa and will help tie in all the pieces of furniture.
  • Darzy
    What a lovely room! I think both arrangements look very nice so whichever works for you comfortably. If it were me, I may consider selling the loveseat and put the chairs where the loveseat is. Then, maybe float a couple of x benches between the LR/DR space. But, I think it would require moving the couch back a bit, which may require a larger area rug. Then, a live plant in the now empty corner with an up-light in the corner (floor can lighting).
    Toscane Nailhead Bench · Еще
  • Olga Brusov
    My apologies, bonthony, it seems I got the furniture wrong. Just to restate what I was trying to say (this will be much clearer, I promise) keep everything the same as in picture 1, except place the 2 brown couches (which ever kind they are, they appear the same to me) across from each other. So that the light can hit them both equally from the windows on the left. Is this clearer?
  • lulu0401
    For a more inviting look, angle your area rug. Just point one corner towards the dining room table.
  • PRO
    Keller Williams Realty West Monmouth
    Try cornering the pieces, the room takes on a more trendy and elegant feeling when things aren't so squared off.
  • PRO
    Keller Williams Realty West Monmouth
    oops-Just saw you did that in the other photos, it does work, now you just need a pop of color!
  • Laura Ricci
    I really like your arrangement with the furniture angled. Trade one of the green pillows with the cream pillows on the sofa and move on to the next project.
  • lorirobinson
    I feel like there are just too many large pieces of furniture in the room. I agree that removing the love seat would open the space and allow for a better flow. I'd like to see a rug angled in the space with some warm rich color, and then pop some of that color into your room. The windows are so nice they could use some more drama with a great rod and some texture. If you choose to keep all the furniture in the room, then photo three is the one I would stick with, but add something taller (or larger) on the wall where the three small pictures are. Good luck with your room!
  • PRO
    Cole Lumber Co.
    I like arrangement #3, move cabinet out of corner and put it on the wall where you have 3 pictures now to fill in that blank area. Add a tall palm plant where the cabinet used to be in the corner. You need something alive in here with some soft lines! Put your 3 pictures in an arrangement with the large one to make a grouping that fills the wall space better. Add a larger more colorful rug ( SEE http://www.flor.com/watch-this-salmon.html ) that fills the area more and it will make it feel larger and less chopped up. Put the green pillows on the sofa and loveseat and add some more bright colors ( salmon ) from the new rug with them. You need taller lamp ( sit it on some stacked up books ) and add a floor lamp on the right. Add an accent can light on the floor in the corner shining straight up on your new palm tree for uplighting at night. I would add a larger scaled wood pole ( 2 1/2" diameter dark wood ) and put straight panels of drapery on rings so you can open them back, sheer if you like ( SEE http://www.smithandnoble.com/search?q=sheers and look at the sheer scroll pattern in ivory ) , the tiebacks look skimpy like a wet Kleenex, not enough fullness in the fabric, buy 6 panels next time. Try whitewashing the brick and let some of the brown show through before you invest hundreds in the stone or paint it a darker shade of the green in your accents pillows and that will bring the green of your palm back across the room for balance. Spend the money you would have spent on stone and buy a rug, much more effective, stone is going to look heavy. You've got a good start just need to tweek it a little!
  • PS Coletta
    Love your room! #3 arrangement is great! Maybe new drapes with color to tie everything together?
  • druesig
    With the furniture angled, I think the rug needs to be angled AND the rug needs to be larger. The furniture on the rug could be squared to the rug and not to the walls. Plain drapes would work also.
  • ldoyal
    Maybe try the two chairs flanking the fireplace and the sofa centered facing the fireplace for a formal conversation area. Then use the loveseat on the short wall beside the large windows along with the tufted ottoman/coffeetable as a comfortable reading nook to curl up with a good book.
  • PRO
    User
    I think the problem with the original arrangement is the location of the t.v. By moving the t.v. away from the fireplace wall, you can make more effective use of the rest of the space. So my suggestion would be to purchase a longer media console and larger t.v. and and place them on the wall adjacent to the fireplace to create a new focal point. Place your sofa in front of the windows with a console table behind it. Place your loveseat opposite the t.v. The 2 chairs can flank the fireplace as they are in picture 3. This effectively creates 2 seating areas, makes better use of the space and the 2 chairs can be pulled closer to the sofa/loveseat grouping as needed.
  • decoenthusiaste
    Yes, move the TV and put the bookcase that is angled in the corner in its place. Do you have a view? Have you considered back to back sofas? One for TV/FP viewing and the other for enjoying the window view. You can actually add two more chairs to that kind of arrangement. Sofa facing FP and two chairs facing wall where the TV would hang above a credenza. At the window side another sofa facing it flanked by two chairs facing each other over a coffee table. Here are a couple of inspirations.
    Lake Bluff custom residence · Еще

Traditional Family Room · Еще
  • bonthony
    Автор
    Thank you for all your suggestions. I'm going to try a few of the suggestions out and post some more pictures.
  • Sylvie T.
    I am not keen on angled furniture. To me, it always seems that the decorator didn't know what to do. Love the last 2 suggestions. I would so remove the love seat and buy a reading lounge chair (meridian). Good luck
  • Risper Babie Nyanjega
    nice
  • bonthony
    Автор
    The tv is only used when my husband is watching sports on the big screen downstairs. :) I don't really want to make it a focal point. I also will watch from the kitchen on the opposite end of the house.
  • bonthony
    Автор
    I've tried a couple of the suggestions.
    I'm planning to extend the drapery rod and put either grommets or clip rings on the drapes and keep them off to the sides. I'll probably buy some shades, maybe cordless cellular and inside mount them in each window section.
    I think I will eventually lose the love seat and maybe buy a chaise for the shirt wall by the window.
  • inkwitch
    At first, I thought you had 2 rooms, but you've boiled it down to a room with a huge FP. That helps. Photos 1 and 3 are the most appealing, but it sort of depends on how many people live there, and how much you entertain. If you live quietly with rare entertaining, I like #1's simplicity and openness. A long skinny sofa table behind that sofa would be a nice anchor.

If you entertain or have a large family, #3 seems adequate seating and nicely configured. Love the slipper chairs and the pattern.

Consider removing the 2 family portraits beside the larger photo and replace with more artsy photos (of family, if you must). The table beside the FP in #4 make the room/that area look cluttered, and nobody is going to notice what's there anyway. A big houseplant in a great pot would work there.

Fantastic windows (and the room has great presentation). I agree that draperies with more substance would look better, just hanging straight, no tie backs. I'm not sure honeycomb shades are teh best choice; they work great in an office, but I"m not sure about how well they'd look in a home. I'd rather see some roman shades in a print (b/w pattern? quadrofoyle pattern? Good place for some color).
  • mjmil
    I like furniture arrangement number 3. If you do sell the one loveseat arrangement number 1 looks great. Adding the X ottomans that Darcy suggested would really be nice.
  • bonthony
    Автор
    Ink witch: by artsy photos, do you mean more casual shots, like the large photo?
  • Nancy Walton
    Yes, get rid of the loveseat--the room is too small for so much furniture. Otherwise, it's a nice room--too dark for my taste, though.
  • bonthony
    Автор
    Well, I finally have some new pictures to post. I'm leaving all the furniture for now as we need the seating for groups that we host regularly. I would like to eventually replace the sofa and love seat with 2 smaller sized love seats or sofas in a light cream or light blue. I plan to change up the accent chairs to either of those colours as well. I do agree that the room dark at present. I'm still undecided on the refacing of the fireplace but definitely want it too look lighter and less bulky.
    I found some arrangements that I plan to use on the future. Thank you very one or your comments and suggestions! Feel free to add more :)
  • bonthony
    Автор
    More ideas I'd like to try...
  • druesig
    I think what you've done looks very nice. Have you thought of light color chair or sofa covers??? Even covering them with white sheets just to get an idea of how much lighter it would look. You are doing very well. Thanks for sharing.