Houzz Logo Print
webuser_12354195586819483

Help with boring, flat exterior

Justin Pucket
Год(а)/Лет назад: 5
This is our first home and the exterior of the house is lacking. Overall the house looks a bit like a mobile home, flat on all sides, just one big rectangle with a small porch. The siding is a strange vertical Hardie board siding that comes in large sheets almost like plywood, with the exception of the gable.

What can we do to help add some character and deminsion to the front of our house, and maybe have it look more like a house and less like a mobile home? Any suggestions are welcomed.

Комментарии: 8

• Justin Pucket
    Автор
    we definitely plan on having a sidewalk poured in the next year or so. the porch is pretty narrow so it makes having chairs and stuff on the porch a little challenging. I know it's hard to tell but it probably comes out only 4 feet. I would like to do see sort.of railing but because of how shallow the porch is now I don't know if it would make much sense.
  • spraguec
    If it’s in the budget, extend the narrow porch and have it fully across the entire front of the house. Add pergolas on each side to create a nice ambiance on the porch without limiting light into the house. Your house overall will live larger and be more inviting with outdoor living space. Add much larger/wider steps. Add low, soft foundation shrubs, perhaps a tree at corner of house. Remove the “circle” around the roses, either add more flowering shrubs to it or remove the roses completely.
  • Justin Pucket
    Автор
    I really love the teal colored shutters on that house too, and adding potted plants. The area with the rose bushes has been another issue for me. I found out there used to be a pine tree there and then it was cut down. this photo is a little older, I have sense done a little landscape work in front of the house, bushes just take a loong time to grow. I'm not sure how to put nicer steps, these are brick. maybe if I just paint them so it matches the rest of the footing.
  • Justin Pucket
    Автор
    I have considered just completely removing the circle. it just feels strange especially since it was only there originally because of a tree and now the tree is gone.
  • Justin Pucket
    Автор
    snapped an updated photo this morning. pinestraw up front is in the worka. I painted the shutters not long after moving in, because they were red....:-\, in the spring we are going to repaint the house white though, and I think the bluish colored shutters would look great.
  • Justin Pucket
    Автор
    hard to see because they are small, but I planted azaleas, a few boxwoods, and can't remember the name but the leaves are golden on the edges.
  • PRO
    Simpeks Group

Simpeks Design design studio simpeksdesign.com.ua