Houzz Logo Print
diane_malone43

Endless Deck Painting and still peeling. Help!

Diane Malone
Год(а)/Лет назад: 5
I have been working on repainting our huge deck for two years. I thought the previous paint was either oil based or acrylic so I have tried the both.

This year I found both types of paint are cracking and peeling off in some areas.

I am at my wits end. I didn't think this was going to have to work on it EVERY spring/summer/fall.

i asked my neighbor's paint contractor what I am doing wrong. He said he can't find any errors in my work. He suggested I get Coronado paint from BM. He claims it is like paint and stain. He said it would grab onto the bare wood like a stain but leave a paint finish over bare and painted areas.
I am looking for a confirmation of his take on my endless project or advice to the contrary.
Help!

Комментарии: 3

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner

No paint on decks because it will always peel. Have all the paint stripped off and then use stain for wood. It soaks into the wood rather than sitting on top. However, you cannot apply it over peeling paint because it will just continue to peel.

• PRO
    Hess Custom Homes

Agreed. You can get away with paint on al the vertical surfaces but the decking should be stripped, sanded and stained.

• paintguy22

Arborcoat is pretty good, but you need to get all the old paint off first. Stripper applied with garden sprayer followed by power wash or an orbital sander. Expect horizontal surfaces to need maintenance every 3 years or so based on how much sun, rain and snow the deck gets. The good thing about stain though is that it will not peel in sheets like paint, so the prep isn't so bad.

Sponsored