Houzz Logo Print
christajordan

Basement ceiling options

CMac
Год(а)/Лет назад: 6

This post is a subset of one I posted in the Remodeling forum (before I realized that there is a basement forum!). https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/5244490/basement-ceiling-options

If I were to take down the ceiling tiles in my basement and paint the ceiling a dark color, should I remove the crossbeams that the tiles are stapled to?

Also, when painting an open basement ceiling, how is the transition from ceiling to wall handled? Note: all walls are painted concrete block. Currently there is a small piece of trim between the tiles and wall, but that doesn't work without the tiles in place.

Комментарии: 4

• worthy
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 6

If you're sure you like the loft look, remove the supports and any superfluous wires, nails, screws etc. now showing. The downside to this type of ceiling is the lack of sound control and, depending on the floor above, more dust and dirt moving downward with every step.

CMac поблагодарил(а): worthy
  • CMac
    Автор

Thanks, worthy. You've brought up some things I hadn't considered. I have hardwood floors in most of the house, and tile in the kitchen and bathroom. I have noticed that there is more dust in the basement in the one area where I have already taken down the tiles, which is under the kitchen. Do you know whether a layer of paint will reduce that?

• PRO
    BMF Construction
    Год(а)/Лет назад: 5

If painting the exposed framing/floor above, I would paint it all (flat) and eliminate any furring pieces that were used as nailers or trim. Paint the dark color down to bottom of joists with a clean horizontal line at all four walls. You will need to consider lighting, possibly track system. Drawbacks include (as indicated above) sound transmission, possible dust and no insulation for the floor above (more draft, less efficiency of heating system). The look is interesting, but there are a few practical drawbacks.

• josephene_gw
    Год(а)/Лет назад: 5

Saw this in several houses on Smith lake in Al. I did not like the dark ceiling so much. I would go with a very pale blue. Just me.

you might go to lakehouse.com. May still be for sale.

Sponsored