Houzz Logo Print
teammcguire1

Cabinet Brands: Design Craft (Medallion), KraftMaid, or Showplace

teammcguire1
Год(а)/Лет назад: 6
Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 6

Hi! We're remodeling our kitchen and would like to make a decision on the cabinets soon. This is our first big remodeling project (we are amateurs)! We have not stepped foot in any big box stores; instead, we have gone to three different independent designers/retailers. We're hoping to get feedback about three cabinet brands. Our choices are: Design Craft (from Medallion), KraftMaid (specifically the Vantage line), and Showplace.

Materials: All are painted MDF cabinet doors and solid plywood construction. Our options are either full overlay with KraftMaid or Showplace, OR frameless cabinets with Design Craft. The Design Craft option comes from a higher-end cabinetry place in our area (they are the most expensive). The KraftMaid and Showplace options come from what I would consider a more mid-grade kitchen/bath showroom (both lines are similarly priced). All of them are in our ballpark budget, although the Design Craft is at the very top of our budget. It's probably comparing apples to apples at this point, but I'm really not sure which one to choose. All have the same warranty. The only thing our contractor has said is full overlay cabinets are a bit sturdier in his experience. It's hard to find feedback about Design Craft and Showplace. Any insight!? The more info, the better! Thank you!

Комментарии: 37

• User

Don't have experience with the brands you mentioned, but we are very happy with our Bremtown cabinets in our kitchen. http://www.bremtown.com/

• PRO
    MarkJames & Co

The order you list them is good down to OK. All can have issues, but can solve them if that happens. . Kraftmaid will have nicer shelf clip and lesser glides (last I checked) than SWP. SWP will offer the most modification. Avoid SWP frameless.

teammcguire1 поблагодарил(а): MarkJames & Co
  • teammcguire1
    Автор

Hi Mark! Can you explain what you mean about “lesser glides?” I have heard the shelf clips aren’t very good with Showplace. I’m a newbie!! Thank you for your feedback. Both Showplace and Kraftmaid are full overlay, but the Design Craft is frameless.

• fancyxx
    Hi! We recently were on the same boat. We needed cabinets and a layout for our newly gutted kitchen. We went to a dealer that carried both showplace and krafts maid, and a dealer that strictly carried medallion. Right off the bat we disliked the display of the krafts maid. Something about them didn’t look as nice as showplace. My heart was set on the Covington door by showplace! We only went to the dealer with medallion because a close friend told us about them and offered us a discount. We really liked the medallion Wellington but even with the discount the cost for beaded inset was nearly $4k more than showplace. However, we already fell in love with showplace! We went with Savannah beaded inset all white cabinets and a black island. It is absolutely beautiful! We required lots of customization and the price did not go up by much! When we got our cabinets we noticed a couple of marks (small) and showplace replaced them with no problem. I highly recommend them.
    teammcguire1 поблагодарил(а): fancyxx
  • teammcguire1
    Автор

Fancy, that sounds lovely! Do you have photos? We live in New England and Showplace is only sold at one place local to us (that I know of). It’s so hard to find reviews online since it’s a smaller company. I appreciate your feedback!!!!

• fancyxx
    We are in Rhode Island. We purchased our cabinets in MA. Our kitchen is still in the process of getting done but here are pics of the cabinets
  • PRO
    MarkJames & Co

"Can you explain what you mean about “lesser glides?” I have heard the shelf clips aren’t very good with Showplace."

Not long ago I looked at some and checked the glides-looked like Blum but where narrower than standard, did not see a marking. At one point they were using King Glides.

Let me say I've gotten fussier, less tolerant as I've aged. Also I have not personally handled either Kraftmaid or Medallion in about 8 yrs. I want the ability to modify cabinets when I design so those don't work for me. I refuse Chinese ply, Chinese glides, I'd rather have decent particle than Chinese ply. But then I've always been a bit of a stickler when it comes to construction. When I built em I did hi-end, before that I built things even more expensive, and have been designing in 3 industries for 45 yrs. Old and cranky.

I'd agree with Kompy that veneer interiors are only for bragging rights. But then again on SWP the upcharge to 1/2" ply veneer interiors is 7% per box- all else remains the same and 1/2" is much easier to swap out the shelf pins than standard 3/8. I only design with flush finish ends so that is a non-issue as they will be 5/8 in SWP. I've only done matte paint from any brand in the last 8 years and they do a good job with it. I've had issues with wood cabinets from ALL of these brands at times, I never did paint in either Medallion or Kraftmaid as I had better options available to me when I worked with them. For a long time I had no issuew with SWP, still don't with paint or inset but I've moved on.

With a good designer & installer, and maybe a bit of patience if replacements are needed, you can get a decent kitchen out of any of those brands.

The spec details may not matter in the long run, I know they don't up front to lots of folks who only care that is says "plywood, softclose, dovetail". I fuss about more and that's what my clients expect from me-old and cranky. (or pissy if you prefer)

I pretty much only do inset or frameless, see no point in framed full overlay except budget and don't think the loss of function is worth it to my clients. (old and cranky) I've had a regionally available cabinet brand for about 5 years that blows all of the semi mass produced away when considering value, service, construction, and reliability. Most often the price difference is so negligible I'd eat it before worrying about what is going to be delivered. But that is not available to everyone, same as not everyone can get Amish. So now I'm down to them and a hi-end line (gotten fussier about clients too).

teammcguire1 поблагодарил(а): MarkJames & Co
  • PRO
    The Kitchen Place

Mark, just an FYI, KraftMaid uses Blum full extension, soft close on their drawer glides. They've been using them for years. However, their KraftMaid ONE line (budget line) uses the King brand, which I agree with you, isn't as good as Blum.

• Kristie Bresz

We just installed KraftMaid full overlay, shaker-esque cabinets that we ordered through Lowe's and I love them! I have never owned nice cabinets before so I don't have much to compare to, but I am very impressed. The full extension drawers are one of my favorite features and the cabinets overall feel very high quality. We did upgrade our boxes to plywood because we plan on staying in our home for a long time. We had one door that had a small bit of damage on it and when we requested a replacement it was no issue at all. I am happy to share some pictures with you if you would like to see them!

• teammcguire1
    Автор

Hi Kristie, yes please!! thank you!!!

• Kristie Bresz

Here are a few photos of my kitchen cabinets. We could not afford top of the line but we wanted something that was going to hold up for a long time because we don't plan on moving anytime soon! First impressions seem like these have exceeded our expectations! Let me know if you have any questions! Good luck with your decision! I also should mention I bought that spice drawer insert on Amazon for about $15. It's awesome!

Kitchen Renovation · Еще

Kitchen Renovation · Еще

Kitchen Renovation · Еще

• teammcguire1
    Автор

Kristie, gorgeous! Love the way it came out. Your cabinets are beautiful! Very similar style to what we will be getting. That’s exactly the spice organization I want—would prefer that over a spice pull out for sure!

• teammcguire1
    Автор

The Kitchen Place, I took your suggestion and asked to have the Medallion brand priced out for full overlay (can’t remember if it was the Gold or Silver line), but it was 4K more than the Design Craft (frameless)!! And now, go figure, my husband and I are leaning towards full overlay again... but what a price jump! I’d pick Kraftmaid, but there is a certain door style we want and it’s only available through Design Craft.. hmmm

• fancyxx
    Год(а)/Лет назад: 5
    Here are our showplace beaded inset cabinets and island
  • Kristie Bresz

Very pretty fancyxx!

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place

I'll have to have a look at the Gold vs Designcraft pricing again. There's no way Silverline would be more. I still can't believe that Medallion Gold was $4K more than DC! DC has always been higher! How much are the prices? Is this a large kitchen? What doors are you pricing?

Did you ever make a decision?

• teammcguire1
    Автор

We decided on Design Craft, they arrived last week!! Kitchen is still under construction so they are in the process of going up! We have upper glass transom doors which impacted the price significantly. Doors are the Park Place style!

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place

I just did a pricing comparison on a layout I saw in a box store ad. 11 cabinets and one filler. Simple shaker door in maple wood. Cabinet price only. No moldings, hardware or delivery. It looks like the Designcraft has decreased some in price compared to when I first quoted it for someone. It use to be more than Medallion Gold.

$2448 KM One Rexton - Framed Full Overlay

$2997 Medallion Silverline Lancaster - Framed Full Overlay

$3176 Showplace Evo Concord - Frameless

$3346 KraftMaid (standard line) Renway - Framed Full Overlay

$3537 Shiloh Aspen - Framed Flush Inset

$3741 Medallion Designcraft Potters Mill - Frameless

$4009 Kraftmaid (Vantage line) Renway - Framed Full Overlay

$4163 Medallion Gold Potters Mill - Framed Full Overlay

$4174 Showplace Concord - Framed Flush Inset Overlay

• teammcguire1
    Автор

$4k?! Whoa. That would have been nice compared to the price of ours! We did not use a box store, so maybe the markup is more. We also have many extras including a mantle style wood hood, center island, lots of drawers, transom cabinet doors with glass, and many accessories/extra options which I’m sure raised the price significantly.

• dayton92

Kristi,

We are currently looking at Kraftmaid cabinets from Lowes. Your kitchen looks beautiful. Do you remember what the name of the door style you chose is?

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 5

I'm a KraftMaid dealer....her kitchen looks like "Sedona". But that's the dealer name. Box store name might be called something else. Two other doors I love are Harper (group B) and Renway (group F)... A is the least $..price goes up as the alphabet goes up. Dayton92...are you in Dayton Ohio? I live in Dayton, OH.

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place

Here is a mini-make over that was just completed this year...before and after pics below. Homeowner kept her original Grabill base cabinets and painted them blue. She also had her old ceramic flooring replaced with Slate tile. I was in charge of getting new wall cabinets, floating shelves, tile backsplash and Hanstone Royale Blanc quartz tops. Because her lowers were partial overlay, we did KraftMaid "Vantage Series" in Harper with white paint. I agree with Mark James. I'm kinda over full overlay. I actually am having a renaissance with partial overlay. I also like frameless and inset cabinets for their own particular reasons. To me, the perfect kitchen is frameless lowers with framed inset uppers.

BEFORE KITCHEN

Homeowner's picture she posted on Instagram!!!

PICTURE i TOOK WHEN I WENT TO SEE THE JOB AFTER THE BACKSPLASH WENT UP...

THE UPPER CABINETS ARE KM VANTAGE HARPER PARTIAL OVERLAY. THE DOOR IS REALLY CUTE!!!!! I'LL TRY TO GET A CLOSEUP SHOT POSTED SOON.

Ps. homeowner did this makeover to tide her over for 6-8 years until she could do the kitchen over. But she loves this so much, now there's no reason to remodel it again for quite some time. :-)

• dayton92
    The Kitchen Place thank you for all of your advice and for sharing some pictures. I am not in Dayton but I graduated from UD in 1992.
  • PRO
    The Kitchen Place

You're welcome. Go Flyers! I live in Oakwood just up the hill from UD. My boyfriend graduated from UD-Law School...I think around the same--1992. Good luck with your kitchen!

• dayton92
    We LOVE Oakwood. Such a small world.
  • Kristie Bresz

I just saw this! The door style is called Sonata (at least at Lowe's that's what it was called) and the color was Dove White. We have only had them since Thanksgiving but they are holding up very well and we get a lot of compliments on our kitchen. For reference, I think we spent just about $10,000 on our cabinets and that included upgraded boxes. We also got a rebate for 10% of our cabinet price, so $1,000, that we used towards our counters. I know a lot of people put down Lowe's and Home Depot but honestly we were pretty happy. There were a few hiccups, but there's always going to be, and we were able to get a brand new kitchen for a reasonable price that didn't over improve for our home's value. We spent less than $20,000 all in including cabinets, counters, appliances, back splash, and flooring. We did all the work ourselves...my husband is awesome!

• hazelcraddock
    Год(а)/Лет назад: 4

Re KraftMaid 2018 install the quality of the painted cabinets is poor. Many cracks and flaking on cabinet door corners. Sure, they replace them but the replacements are alsor flawed. Also exposed primer (pink) on box edges. They had a "good" reputation. I would not recommend them based on our experience.

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place

hazel, Do you have pictures? I haven't experienced anything negative with KM lately. Last kitchen I did a few months ago were fine, see pics posted above. Painted finishes were awesome. What series and doorstyle did you have? Series: Standard, Vantage or KMONE?

• hazelcraddock

The Kitchen Place, not ignoring you. Will get out the paperwork and post for you. Ours were from a bigbox store, yours may be an upgrade. Live and learn.

• hazelcraddock

The Kitchen Place, Kraftmaid all plywood Sonata Maple in Canvas Suede. A Kraftmaid rep did come to our home to see the issues and in response stated, "in relation to the cabinet boxes with the thin paint finish the best way to remedy that issue will be to install decoratvie panels and use touch up paint for any areas the panels will not cover." Masco mailed us a can of spray paint which stated on the instuctions that is was only to be applied wearing appropriate protective breathing apperatus in well ventilated area. Difficult as the cabinets were already installed. I will try to post photos of chipped door edges tomorrow for you. www.kitchenreviews.com/cabinets/reviews/kraftmaid/ There are reviews for 2019 here and most express the same problems.

• hazelcraddock

Kitchen Place re photos.

• Erin Clark
    Год(а)/Лет назад: 3

Excuse the rookie question but does full overlay mean that you do not see the cabinet box b/c the door completely covers the box? We are deciding between Design Craft and Medallion so any feedback will be appreciated.

• teammcguire1
    Автор

Hi Erin! I believe so (at least that’s what I remember when we did our remodel 3 years ago, but I’m not a professional). I know we have full overlay and went with Design Craft. They‘ve been awesome!

• Erin Clark

Thank you!

• Robert Hass

Full overlay, I believe, implies a framed cabinet whose doors completely cover the face frame, so it gives a similar look to frameless but still has the downside of access restricted by frames and center stiles. If teamMcGuire1 has Design Craft, they are not full overlay. They are frameless, also known as “full access”, which might be part of the confusion. Design Craft is the frameless line manufactured by Medallion.

• teammcguire1
    Автор

Robert, yes! You are absolutely correct. Thank you for responding- we do indeed have the frameless Design Craft cabinets. It’s all coming back to me now ;) Erin, not sure if you’ll see this but this line of cabinetry has held up beautifully in the last few years since we did this massive kitchen project. We have 3 kids (age 7, 3 1/2 and 5 months- this probably explains why my brain is mush LOL), and these cabinets still look brand new. I am glad we went with frameless because there is no center stile and the cabinets really utilize all the space. I’d recommend them to anyone!

Sponsored