Houzz Logo Print
redwineraider

Better aesthetic for living room? Fireplace addition / high ceiling

redwineraider
Год(а)/Лет назад: 6

About to close on a home. One of the immediate projects will be either vaulting the ceiling in the living room, and making the double pane window a cozy bay window. I will be adding a fireplace as well; I am just unsure which is a better choice -- place it in the center of the far wall or snug it up in the corner. Obviously if I placed it in the corner (as seen in the pic), I may forego the vaulted ceiling to maintain that coziness. I'm just having trouble debating which would look better, raise desirability factor, and overall makes more sense.

First pic is the actual living room, second two are my examples I'm drawing inspiration from:

Vaulted:

Corner Fireplace:

Комментарии: 5

• Elaine Doremus Resumes Written

Putting the fireplace in the corner may limit your ability to use it - there's a limited amount of space for people to sit in front of it. Putting the fireplace in the middle of the wall makes it a focal point and more people have room to sit in front of it.

About your bay window, make sure that goes with the style of the house. There are lots of different types of windows. Look at them before settling on a bay.

If I were you and I were considering making these changes, I would contact an architect, who can give you a professional assessment of the space.

redwineraider поблагодарил(а): Elaine Doremus Resumes Written
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 6

Never in a corner they are a PITA to decorate around . Please think of where you want the T.V and it needs to much lower than where you have it and so do all the other things on the walls. Since you are changing the window why not have the fireplace on that wall with a window on either side and then a wall of storage T.V and doiplay on the wall where the the TV is now. Not sure why you want a bay window at all.BTW have you actually priced out vaulting the ceiling?

redwineraider поблагодарил(а): Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner

Changing the line of the ceiling will be determined by how it's currently constructed. If these are prefabricated trusses you are out of luck. If not, you probably looking at spending at least $10k to do it. You'll have to reroute HVAC and will probably want to add lighting and new insulation.

No to the corner fireplace as recommended above and absolutely no to the bay window. The problem with add-on bays is how they screw up the exterior. Trying to get the roofline and flashing to work along with the lower support doesn't provide a good look for the exterior of most homes.

You can purchase and install a larger front window, use stone on the wall, add an electric non-venting fireplace & a larger TV. That's still going to cost plenty.

redwineraider поблагодарил(а): BeverlyFLADeziner
  • PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings

Keep shopping.

redwineraider поблагодарил(а): Sustainable Dwellings
  • redwineraider
    Автор

Thanks everyone. I do not currently own the home so I did not make the design choices (TV mount, decor, etc.)

I'm just looking at realistic ways to up the equity or at least the desirability factor in the long term. I really think going for a fireplace/TV to the right or left in a media cabinet combo looks good. I am not a fan of mounting TV's above fireplaces.