Houzz Logo Print
blublublubly

upper counter longer and touches counter

blublublubly
Год(а)/Лет назад: 6
What do people think of an upper cupboard that is longer and touches the counter. I’m thinking of the corner to the right of a window.

Does anyone have good photos of this?

http://images.traditionalhome.mdpcdn.com/sites/traditionalhome.com/files/slide/101947130_w.jpg

Комментарии: 7

• caligirl5

I use mine mostly as an appliance garage to store my griddler and blender. Compared to your pic, my GC altered mine to remove the rail at the bottom, so I can slide the griddler in and out.

• PRO
    Therese Ciesinski

Is this what you mean? I put one in my kitchen, which is still under construction. It will be my food pantry. Not sure I'd do one right next to a sink, due to the potential for water damage. Mine is next to the range. (The cabinets aren't as bright a blue as that photo makes them look!)

• ILoveRed

My dd and sil did this in their kitchen. I don't have a pic of the finished cabinet but it is really beautiful and functional. It is the 36" wide/12" deep that comes down to the countertop. It has one drawer on the bottom and the rest is glass two door and holds the bulk of their dishes. It holds a ton of dishes. You can see (upper left corner of the plan) that it is far away from their sink so water is not an issue.

they don't have any uppers on this window wall so this is good dish storage.

• salex

I'm building a cabinet just as you describe: in a corner between two windows (one side of the corner is wider, so the cabinet will be 30" wide and 12" deep). The purpose is to hide the tangle of coffee grinder, electric kettle, and infrequently-used espresso maker (main coffee maker will be out in full view). Coffee is important to me but so is an uncluttered countertop.

There are several types of doors you can use:

1) A single door that lifts up and out. This doesn't allow access to the upper part of the cabinet when open.

2) "Flipper" doors that fold to the sides and then get tucked inside the cabinet sides. These require at least 2" extra inches on each side.

3) A barrister-style door that lifts up and slides into the top part of the opening. If the opening is much taller than it is deep, it will stick out quite a bit when open (so not really tucked away).

4) Tambour door (rolltype style). I have never been a big fan of this style, but for my application - opening that is 20" tall x 27" wide in a 12" deep cabinet - I decided it's the most functional because it allows easy access to the inside and the door doesn't block anything else when it's open. But these range from hard-to-use and short-lived to lifetime doors, depending on how they're constructed and maintained. As with anything, the devil is in the details, and price and quality are positively related.

• salex

I forgot to include the type mentioned above: Just having 2 doors that open but don't slide into the cabinet. I've seen this used mainly when there's a short drawer on the bottom of the cabinet. (I just didn't consider it because I wanted stuff to sit right on the countertop inside.)

• partim

Mine is too close to the sink, and is water damaged.

Sponsored