Houzz Logo Print
blublublubly

Drawer or Pull Out - Best function?

blublublubly
Год(а)/Лет назад: 6
In an effort to get the correct drawer and cupboard-with-pull-out-shelve combination I’m trying to figure out which is best for storing which items?

- 6” deep drawers —cutlery, tin foil, calculator/pens, lunch bags, oven mitts, tea towels etc...

- 12” deep drawers — Tupperware, casserole dishes, pots pans.
——Some narrow drawers - 15”-18”
——Some wider drawers - 24”-40”

- 12” deep Cupboards-with-pull-out shelves— food, canned goods, cake mixes, pots, pans, casserole dishes
——some narrow and some wider.

- Vertical storage - cookie sheets, cooling racks, cutting boards

- Where do the huge popcorn bowls, mixmaster, bread machine, roasting pans, muffin tins, Christmas tins, blender, large salad or large serving bowls go best? Where do I put my 10 lb bag of flour and sugar?

Thanks!!!

Комментарии: 17

• sushipup1

Pull-outs are a PITA after compared to drawers. Only things I stored in my old kitchen (we sold the house 2 yrs ago) lower cabinets, no drawers or pull outs, were baking sheets and trays and those muffin tins. Another cabinet held the stand mixer and bread machine. Large bowls went in the 36" 12" deep drawers. Do you need to keep the bag of sugar and flour handy at all times? Or do you fill canisters? Drawers work fine for both.

Christmas tins? Get whatever you only use once a year out of the kitchen and into the basement or a closet.

• PRO
    Therese Ciesinski

I went with drawers wherever I could. For smaller appliances (blender, food processor), I did wooden half-circle pull outs that swing out from a dead spot at the end of a run of cabinets. I also made the cabinets over the fridge very tall (ceiling is vaulted) and will put the lesser used/holiday items there. The Kitchen Aid mixer is in its own cabinet on one of those shelves that springs up and locks so you don't have to lift it onto the counter. Mixer utensils, parchment paper, muffin tin go underneath.

Make sure you know the weight capacity of whatever you end up going with. What about drawers with built in flour and sugar bins you could scoop from and remove for cleaning? If you bake a good deal, you might want to consider a dedicated baking area. Good luck, whatever you choose!

• PRO
    Anglophilia

Drawers rule!

• blublublubly
    Автор
    Thanks for the feedback and advice everyone.
    Any opinion on narrow drawers? Below is a photo of my current kitchen before the Reno. I only have 15” from my stove to a doorway on the right and also 15” on the left side of the stove. Currently there is a top drawer and a cupboard underneath. I have several spots in my kitchen like this.
    In the new kitchen I can install three drawers there, but is 15” too narrow or ok and what can go in a narrow drawer?
    What about those cupboards with pull out shelves or pull outs with metal rails for spices or oil?
  • Nothing Left to Say

Narrow drawers can hold aluminum foil and the like, dish towels, spices, wooden spoons, knives, silverware, etc.

But I urge you to post your dimensions drawn on graph paper and let the good people here help you find the most functional layout. The amount of talent here willing to help for free to make sure you get the best kitchen is amazing.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    Drawers drawers drawers. A layout of kitchen would help us help you.
  • wildchild2x2
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 6

I love the convenience of drawers but I like a regular base cabinet or two with pullouts because you can adjust them for height. My preference is for heavy duty metal pullouts when I comes to pots and pans over wood. They let the air circulate if the pot hasn't been completely dried of if a bit of grease or soot got on the bottom etc. Just seem "cleaner" IMO.

For 15" I would stick to drawers however.

• kazmom

We have a 15” cabinet with drawers. We use it for pot holders, trivets, dish towels, measuring cup and spoons, cookie cutters, etc. we went with all drawers for our new kitchen, except for the Lazy Susan, although I am thinking of changing one to a pull out for the adjustable height mentioned above. For me it would be used for the instant pot, stock pot and things like that though, not regular pots and pans. One of the things I hate most in our current kitchen is the pots and pans in a pull out. Maybe if you have plenty of space and can limit how many you put in one pull out it would be fine, but I have to stack mine and I am constantly fighting the handles to get them lined up right so the pull out will slide in and the door close. They have gouged the interior side of the cabinet rubbing against it pulling in and out and sometimes they get stuck and you have to shove everything around to get it opened or closed. I am putting them in drawers with the remodel and can’t wait!

• Sue 430

Not a fan of all drawers myself, I like smaller drawers for things like silverware, etc, but cupboards with pullouts for the rest. My kitchen is square, with 4 corner cabinets, 2 lower and 2 upper. That’s where I keep most of the larger stuff because they’re big. Also the cupboard above the fridge is very large, I have all of my serving stuff in there, plus some misc other stuff. The top shelf of my pantry which I can’t reach without a step stool has my Christmas dishes, glasses etc, mugs, etc, I thought out where I would do what in my kitchen and then tried to organize accordingly.

• bpath

Mostly drawers, but for pots I do like a pullout shelf. This lets me open the door and grab one out, not lifting straight up. But it lets me pull out the shelf to get the rarely-used, special-use pot at the back.

• blublublubly
    Автор
    Hi bpathome - how wide are your pot pullouts?
  • User

For large light-weight items, I had my over-the-fridge cabinet divided vertically with an adjustable shelf on each side. There is no deeper cabinet in a kitchen so you can stuff the back with seldom-used items and put frequently-used items in the front. I have a large stainless popcorn bowl, large plastic bowl, salad spinner, bundt and angel food cake pans, and an electric veggie steamer, yogurt maker, and ice cream maker in mine. I also have my biggest pot, a stainless stockpot, stationed in front where I can grab it easily.

• blublublubly
    Автор
    How high is the pullout for the kitchen aid? Will 16” bet enough clearance?
  • PRO
    Drawer Essentials

Mine is 8". You really would only need 3".

• blublublubly
    Автор
    8” or 18”?
  • PRO
    Drawer Essentials

For our Solo kit, you would need at least a 16" opening. My Kitchen Aid is about 14" high. You would need to add 3/4" for the slide and 3/4" for the upset for the drawer. So 16" would work for me.

Sponsored