Houzz Logo Print
kasykd

stained toilet bowl

kasykd
Год(а)/Лет назад: 6

The toilet bowl at our cabin stays stained at the water line. I don't know why. But we're building on the same property - with the same water lines (spring water) and I'm concerned about our 3 bathrooms. Should I get a dark (black?) toilet to hide this? I've just been reading about the toto with sanagloss. Would the Sanagloss possibly provide a solution or help? Ugh. (as in ugly!)

Комментарии: 32

• della70

It's rust in the water.

kasykd поблагодарил(а): della70
  • Joe

Have you ever tried a pumice stone?

• hummingalong2
    Water softener for the whole house.
    kasykd поблагодарил(а): hummingalong2
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER

Sanigloss won't deter rust. It simply makes a flush...........ahem.......cleaner. And even that is mostly myth. ( flush as you go kids......., flush again ) A water softener may help.

kasykd поблагодарил(а): JAN MOYER
  • virginia lynn

You can use a pumice stick to remove the line easily. If you have stain below the line The Works works great. I would not let this keep you from having a white toilet very easy to remove. While you are away from your home put some vinegar in the toilets before you leave for long periods of time.

kasykd поблагодарил(а): virginia lynn
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 6

Agree, The Works is a super product. One of those things you hang in the tank would help too. Clorox whatever.....: ) The only "color" for toilets is white.

kasykd поблагодарил(а): JAN MOYER
  • hatetoshop

If you do have hard water, it will leave not-so-nice looking white scale deposits and water spots on a black toilet. So, buy another white toilet, but stay on top of the stains. Good luck!

kasykd поблагодарил(а): hatetoshop
  • Angel 18432

My friend put one of those bleach thingies in her toilet, and came back to a flooded house. The bleach had corroded the washer/screws and they had leaked. Must have been in there for a period of time to do this.

kasykd поблагодарил(а): Angel 18432
  • Diane@426

Zud is the best cleanser I've ever used for rust stains. A water softener is probably the only long term solution however.

kasykd поблагодарил(а): Diane@426
  • Elle
    Willing to bet it’s iron in your water. Use iron out, and be aware that bleach makes iron stains worse.
    kasykd поблагодарил(а): Elle
  • Elle
    Do NOT use the drop in bleach things if you won’t be flushing the toilet regularly. The bleach dilution gets too strong and corrodes everything. Plus, it will make iron staining worse.
    You can tell if it’s iron by opening the tank and inspecting for slimy red coating on the rough surface.
    kasykd поблагодарил(а): Elle
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting

A water softener is really the answer along with daily cleaning.A black toilet will look 10x worse

kasykd поблагодарил(а): Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • chiflipper

Brush bowl. Turn off water feed to toilet. Flush. (The water level will be below the "nasty line".) Apply The Works and let sit 5-10 minutes. Brush. Repeat if necessary. The Works will take out any stain / calcium deposit. Never buy a black toilet...unless it's for a powder room...and you have a live-in maid.

kasykd поблагодарил(а): chiflipper
  • PRO
    Carolina Kitchen & Bath

Put in a water filtration system and use Super Iron-Out rust remover.

kasykd поблагодарил(а): Carolina Kitchen & Bath
  • della70

Some parts of the country have hard water and I would surmise that you will have a similar problem in the new building if you are using the same water source.

kasykd поблагодарил(а): della70
  • sofaspud
    We have a well, a softener, and a charcoal whole house filter. Doesn't matter a whit. We have rust rings in all 3 toilets, and nothing will touch it, though the toilets are 17 years old. I have used every cleanser known to man and even wet sandpaper. I've resigned myself to the fact that I will have to replace them all fairly soon. Maybe you'll have better luck if you clean them every other day.
    kasykd поблагодарил(а): sofaspud
  • quirkycabin

We have a well as well, ha ha, and after trying everything available I ended up with Kaboom for toilets. For whatever mineral we are contending with Kaboom is my answer. Would love a water softener system here. Good luck.

kasykd поблагодарил(а): quirkycabin
  • kasykd
    Автор

Aww, sofaspud! Man that's awful news! That's gonna be me, I'm sure. I did have a degree of success with barkeeper's friend (or helper, can't remember which). Thanks so much for your input, everyone. Great ideas for going forward.

• saratogaswizzlestick

Don't do a black toilet. Black shows everything. Try pumice stone on your water line stain.

kasykd поблагодарил(а): saratogaswizzlestick
  • cobalt21

if you have rust stains that usually is the result of iron in the water. There is a system that looks like a water softer but uses potassium permanganate to treat the iron and prevent rust. You may still have hard water in addition to iron or sulfur,

kasykd поблагодарил(а): cobalt21
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 6

If you have really hard water with lots of iron, you need the water analyzed. It's likely you will require a two-part water conditioner. Water softener and Potassium Permanganate, if I remember correctly. In the meantime, the pumice stick will get rid of the rust stain and water line.

kasykd поблагодарил(а): BeverlyFLADeziner
  • User

You need to know what kind of minerals are apparent in your water in addition to the hardness. No one can give you correct advice without essential information. All poster are speculating here. Most importantly NEVER take a pumice stone/powder or abrasives to a glazed surface, it ruins the finish. Care should be taken regarding chemical solutions if you are on a septic system.

kasykd поблагодарил(а): User
  • Irene Morresey
    Coke cola is the best, try getting rid of most of the water and tip in coke, amazing
    kasykd поблагодарил(а): Irene Morresey
  • Marigold

if you are building on the same property, perhaps you should invest in a water filtration system. If you use spring water, I am guessing you also have a septic system, and most of the remedies suggested are not septic friendly.
    We had a similar problem and called in an expert. Our water was tested, he put a back-flushing filter in, and our water is terrific.
    If I remember correctly, it was around $1800 and it cleans itself, so is maintenance free.

kasykd поблагодарил(а): Marigold
  • kasykd
    Автор

Thanks, Helen. Could you send a link to your system?

• Marigold
  • User

Again - if you don't get water analysis done, you don't know what the problem is. You're going about this backwards.

kasykd поблагодарил(а): User
  • Marigold

I agree. We had the analysis done, and it was only a couple of hundred dollars. Not very expensive, given the potential of faulty remediation.

• kasykd
    Автор

Thanks so much. And yes, water analysis is part of our plan. We did it many years ago and plan to have an updated analysis soon.

• PRO
    Simple Water Softeners

You need a certified water technician to analyze water. For the test that needs to be done a local water filtration company should be able to do for you and recommend correct equipment. If the cabin is way out you should be able to take water to them. For Iron you need a Iron Breaker. What they put inside is determined by water tests. One is for just iron, they have one for iron and sulpher ect... The system works completely on it's own. You add nothing, do nothing. It just works. Around $1800 installed. Now if you have sediment they will put a big blue filter before it, and that you will have to change. Get the water tested.

• L H

I'm on well water and the toilets stain. I wash as normal and then spray with water/bleach and let it sit. Eliminates the stains.

Sponsored