Houzz Logo Print
helen_atkinson22

large fireplace - need help and inspiration!

Helen Atkinson
Год(а)/Лет назад: 6
We recently moved to a property and about to start decorating, but I'm stuck at what to do with the fireplace in the lounge. It's a great focal point(it's quite big- 230cm wide) so I want to keep it, but I think it looks a bit dated (property built in 80s).

Anyone have any suggestions with how improve it? Could a carpenter build a frame to go round it to hide the bricks at the edges maybe? Paint the bricks? Paint the chunk of fake wood at the top?

Would really love some ideas!
Thanks

Комментарии: 2

• PRO
    PWJ Architects Ltd

Good morning Helen,

If you are redecorating the property in a contemporary manner, then this fireplace may look a little out of place. If you decide to go down this route, you could install a modern fireplace like the image below (subject to a full inspection by a professional).

Whipley Dene · Еще

• PRO
    Scarlett Fireplaces
    Hi Helen,
    The 1980's style of brick fireplace is looking dated nowadays, the main issue being the new type of brick used in construction and the false beams. An old original brick inglenook fireplace has ageless character because the natural materials used have generations of wear and tear.
    Think of your fireplace as a blank canvas, luckily you have a large fireplace chamber that will allow for many types of fireplace design. Below is a newer ingkenook I renovated by hiding the new style bricks while cladding a reclaimed oak beam lintel.