Houzz Logo Print
designideas4me

Advice

designideas4me
Год(а)/Лет назад: 6
Hi Debra,Can you please tell me the safest product to use in a cactus succulent garden to kill weeds and not harm my plants? Thank you
Succulent Gardens · Еще

Комментарии: 3

• silviakunst
    The safest way is to pull the weeds by hand
  • PRO
    Debra Lee Baldwin

If you don't want to weed around cactus, there's a granular powder you can use that stops seeds from germinating. It's not an organic product, so I hesitate to recommend it, but if you're interested go to a garden center, nursery or agricultural supplier and ask for "pre-emergent herbicide." It won't help once weeds sprout, so best time to apply is in winter before a rainstorm.

• designideas4me
    Автор

Why is it that rain seems to bring the weeds.We only had one rain storm so far this entire winter.I believe it was maybe 4 weeks ago.I am in Temecula,so you know its been a hot and dry winter so far. I am mainly seeing clover and it seems to be everywhere,between my bricks,between concrete in the driveway,even in areas where there is dg but its growing along the edging next to the dg.All those locations I was going to use a strong weed killer such as ground clear because it lasts a year with one dose. But my concern is if the area gets very wet and the chemicals are able to wash down into the soil close to my plants.I feel like I dont have a grasp on how close to use this product in relation to any plants that are downward on a slope. So now that I have pulled out most of the weeds,if I apply the pre-emergent herbicide it will prevent new ones from growing? I am surprised they are growing out from under the lava rock,and the 3/8 in. rock and even some parts covered in a thinner layer of dg. Its not that I dont want to weed,its that I keep weeding almost daily and they just won't stop growing. How do you control weeds in your garden since I know you use similar ground cover? Is there any advantage in using a granular form and do you like Preen or something else? Can I buy the product you use? Here is a link on Amazon to several organic weed killers, perhaps you can take a quick look and tell me which one is best.They are a bit more expensive but that's ok if they are safer. Btw how are you and what are you working on these days? Having watched your videos and read your book I feel like I know you,lol. Do you still do landscaping residential projects,or mostly speaking engagements,or maybe classes on how to make a succulent arrangement? I would love to know and maybe have a chance to attend one of your events if any are being held in northern San Diego or better yet Riverside County. And I promise never to forget your name,except I spell mine Deborah.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_12?url=search-alias%3Dlawngarden&field-keywords=organic+weed+killer&sprefix=organic+weed%2Clawngarden%2C198&crid=29QAHEOBR7TGA