Houzz Logo Print
melweberinteriordesign

Help with Living Room Wall Colour

Mel Weber Interior Design
Год(а)/Лет назад: 6
I’m feeling really indecisive about a wall colour for our living room. It’s north facing with shutters and we only really use it in the evenings. The sofas are a midnight blue, rug and throw monochrome, artwork will be changed. Flooring will be changed either to original boards depending on state or a pale oak. Fireplace tiles are green and yellow. Looking for a colour to use on all walls and built in alcove units. Any suggestions please?

Комментарии: 22

• Juliet Docherty

I would go for a chocolate colour or Mouses Back, both could look really good with blue and work well in evening light. I would whitewash the new oak floor (or original pine floor) with Lye to create a good contrast. Dark walls, pale floor is a lovely look.

Mel Weber Interior Design поблагодарил(а): Juliet Docherty
  • PRO
    Автор

Thank you both for your suggestions. Sorry for not replying sooner. I'm feeling inspired to go darker. Currently looking at Manor House Grey or Plummet or possibly Stiffkey Blue. Unsure whether to just go dark on the fireplace wall and alcove style cabinets or to do the whole room.... I'm not normally so indecisive, not sure why I'm finding this room so challenging!!

• PRO
    Автор

Also I'm going to put a vertical rad on the wall as the sofa currently blocks all the heat from the rad. So this will need to be dark too I think.

• Juliet Docherty

I wouldn't commit until the floor is finalised. Although it's tempting, the floor is a huge factor in the overall tone of the room and if it's North facing it's really important. Manor House Grey and Plummet are cool so probably not great in daylight but good in artificial light. These two images show clever use of a dark tone on parts of the rooms.

Mid Century Living · Еще

The Stack · Еще

Mel Weber Interior Design поблагодарил(а): Juliet Docherty
  • PRO
    Автор

Thank you - I'm open to more wall colour suggestions. Floor will go throughout downstairs and will be a pale wood, can't wait to get rid of that orange laminate!

• minnie101

I'm not sure if it will be too dark for your room (I've got a large tester on the outside of my back door) but you could look at little greene purple brown. Do you have a picture of the rest of the room? The picture isn't the LG colour but looks very similar

Mel Weber Interior Design поблагодарил(а): minnie101
  • PRO
    Автор

This is the estate agent photo - we now have white shutters fitted and the dark blue sofas. And about to have alcove style cupboards built either side of the fireplace which will be same colour as walls. Flooring to be changed to a pale wood as it's an awful laminate.

• PRO
    Автор

And I have quite industrial lighting - Starkey lights from made.com

• PRO
    Автор

I can see your thinking minnie101 - it would suit the room I think but I really don't like purple or brown so would never have even contemplated it!! It might work though. What colours would you accessorise with?

• Resh
    Revive Radiators do a rather lovely raw steel finish column radiator. First pic shows them in our kitchen. Next two shows the horizontal version in the living room of our last house (Hague Blue)
    Mel Weber Interior Design поблагодарил(а): Resh
  • PRO
    Автор

That's so strange - I've just been looking at these steel rads - they're gorgeous! Thanks for sharing that really helps me to visualise (and convince my husband!!)

• PRO
    Автор

Ps. GORGEOUS rooms - I love your style Resh

• Juliet Docherty

minnie101, the Little Greene Purple Brown is gorgeous!

• Resh
    Thanks - although I managed to post this in the wrong discussion: I was trying to help someone pick radiators. Happy accident!
  • Resh
    Also the blue room was north facing - and Hague Blue was absolutely perfect for it, all year round.
  • PRO
    Автор

I think it might have been my other post today which was about radiators in the same room. Either way it helped so thank you.

• Emily
    I love that purple brown. I’m decorating at the moment and have been using F&B mahogany which has purple tones but I’ve also been playing with very dark purple Pelt. Still not finished but when I put some stuff on those shelves (to make space elsewhere) I realised that so many colours look good against it. I’m liking the Tiffany blue and the orange in particular. But the picture that was originally posted of the purple brown is also lovely with just neutrals, very sophisticated I think?
    Mel Weber Interior Design поблагодарил(а): Emily
  • minnie101

Lol, it sounds like I suggested the worse colour possible for you then! Will there be some warmth to the floor? It might be worth having a looking at f&b downpipe? Lighten/brighten the walls with art etc. Plants will also look fab against it and warm metals.

• PRO
    Автор

Thanks Minnie, Floor will be a pale wood, undecided yet so could add some warmth. I tend to be drawn towards cooler colours usually. This pic looks fab - do you think it would work with the midnight blue sofas though, as they've used brighter furnishings here to pop against it. Would you do all 4 walls?

• Juliet Docherty

It's funny, it makes me wonder if we are all drawn to a particular colour palette no matter what. I tend to gravitate towards warmer browns/greens and tend to not use blue/greys. I had a friend whose house was painted pure white and I loved going there - but I hated the same pure white in my own house.

• minnie101

I think it could be worth picking up a tester. Same room but different light so the chair isn't quite as bright. I'd personally prefer a floor with some warmth but you could add warmth with textures, lighting, flowers/plants and accessories. I might do all walls and break up the wall behind the sofa with art, wall hanging, sculpture, mirror etc or you could consider a wallpaper if you want a little more contrast with the sofa or just add some contrast with cushions, throw etc