Houzz Logo Print
jordan26

Painted kitchen cabinets

jordan26
Год(а)/Лет назад: 10
I had great success painting my old, grungy kitchen cabinets. I used the existing counter top to pick the paint colour and I think the cabinets make the counter top look better too! I used rustoleum cabinet transformations without the glaze because I really like the look of the wood grain coming through. The drawers have original hardware but I spray painted them and the door knobs are new. Let me know what you think!

Комментарии: 143

• boliekate
    Wow! Great job it looks so much better!
  • PRO
    Virtus Design
    Looks great!
  • Bettie Waddle
    I used self-adhesive vinyl 12 x 12 tiles instead of shelf paper for the inside of my kitchen cabinets. I was able to find matching "marble" contact paper for the front edges. Clean-up is a snap, and the tiles protect against any water spills. I did this after a roof leak rendered the cabinets (per insurance) a total loss.
  • PRO
    KBR Design & Build
    Congratulations on a job well done! What a great DIY project.
  • Nancy Redwine
    Your cabinets look great! But I wonder why the after photos in Houzz are always smaller even after I tap to enlarge? Or is it just me?
  • annopseth
    I used Rustoleum's kit to redo my 1980s medium oak cabinets. I added furniture-type legs and new moldings before I started. Some I painted black (the sink cabinet and tall pantry cabinets), the rest I painted white, then glazed to a creamy finish. I spray painted the old hinges a nickel finish and added pulls. Looks great for about $500! You can do it too!
  • ericevers
    Wow
  • pmurcray
    Nice job! What an improvement!
  • hagen1998
    Congratulations! What a simple but lovely transformation.
  • mjharp
    Wow! You get a great job!
  • onthecoast1
    Absolutely fabulous job! I'm usually not one for painting wood (I just brush on Dark Walnut Polyshades to darken and shine cabinetry without painting it), but your great results are making me re-think the painting of wood. It's just going to be terrible 10 or 15 years down the road when the paint starts peeling off or chipping......wonder if Rustoleum will come out with a product that will easily remove this current product some 20 years later? :-)
  • jaltenbach
    Great job. If you would really like to change the look, add some large crown moulding around the top. It will make it look like fine furniture. I've used the rustoleum product on an oak armoire I bought used and it looks great. I did use the glaze as I used a light background color, and the grain comes through with the glaze too.
  • freyacollections
    Love it!
  • freyacollections
    Like mentioned before it looks very nice, your kitchen motivate me to try mine, will post a picture this weekend. Did you have to sand the cabinets before applying the product? what did you use to paint the hardware? Thanks.
  • slimrigger
    It's looks great..... I do cabinet facing with laminate and I really like the paint vs laminate, what kind of paint did you use for this
  • Sharyn
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 10
    Many are posting here about trying this product themselves, and if it will work with what they have. Rustoleum's website has tons of real homeowners before and after pictures (Photo gallery -testmonials), as well as uses of the product for things other than cabinets. Look carefully at the pictures in which people used the glaze - in my opinion, some look really bad, streaky, not straight lines. As if they replicated a wood grain. I think the glaze only works well on cabinets with inlaid trim or mouldings to give it depth. I dont think it should be used on flat cabinets. But it's just my opinion. Check it out - it is very informative! www.rustoleumtransformations.com
  • Charla Eby
    Absolutely amazing what a bit of hard work and paint will do!!!
  • creative1967
    Looks great!
  • decoratinglady5
    Thanks Sharyn..good idea to check the website.If I would use this product,I would not use the glaze.
  • PRO
    Paradise Restored Landscaping & Exterior Design
    I really LOVE it!
  • candylan86
    Wow what an amazing transformation. The knobs really updated the look. When your budget allows, upgrade to stainless steel...it will look beyond designer with the dark cabinets!
  • kjc5555
    great job done !!!
    I'm about to do the same in a vacation home we recently bought to make the kitchen feel brighter and newer till we do a complete gut . You've given me confidence to do it !
  • decoratinglady5
    Misty..I have similar cabinets,.You said you used a white on yours..I like the pics.looking good,wondering if they are an off white ..I may go with this color.
  • decoratinglady5
    Just went on their website..did not know they featured so many colors.
  • PRO
    User
    Wow! simple does it! very nice job!
  • Sarah
    Gorgeous job!
  • Kate
    Very nice!
  • vtlady52
    Jordan, those results are amazing. I have been considering doing something similar. I have the dated oak cabinets in the kitchen and master bathroom. I decide to do it and then decide it is just too much work. My first project this summer must be using the Rust-Oleum product for worn decks. With your gorgeous results, maybe I will do it after the deck. Just gorgeous!!
  • southerntwinb
    I'm sure it took a lot of work. It was absolutely worth it! Looks great!
  • Karen Brockman
    So beautiful! I love that product. Which color did you choose? My kitchen is similar to yours and I was skeptical of doing the dark cabinets with my white appliances, but your transformation has convinced me! Enjoy!
  • mjharp
    Wow they are amazing
  • nneira
    Great work! What product did you use to transform your cabinets?
    I love the color and would love to be able to do the same with my kitchen cabinets that are a light oak brown color.
  • Bev Lambert
    Great job and kitchen looks" beautiful",counter top is now a stand out. I made my own curtains for the window, lucky me has a Berneda embroidery machine, made the top a valance and put a second rod loop at the top of the scallops. Hung the top close to the wall with cafe rod and the bottom with a 3" extension rod. Everyone loves them.
  • Denise
    Wow! Great job! Great color!
  • decoratinglady5
    What a great idea with the valance! You did a great job throughout,a lot of hard work sure paid off.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    I like your individuality. Good job!
  • Jen Kyyashko
    Great job, kitchen updates look great!
  • MJ Sherman
    what color did you paint the backsplash?
  • PRO
    Studio NOO Design
    Nice change !
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    Very nice. Updated. Just a note to others, in before shot. Note pulls in middle of doors. That is a big NO! The knobs in after shot is way to do it. Great job.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    It would be great if could budget stainless appl. And add a bamboo shade to that window. Just to give it a finish look. Adding a pop of color on counters, is always a nice touch.
  • Denise
    Год(а)/Лет назад: 9
    Great! Look like new up to date cabinetry.
  • Linda Beam
    great transformation! i love the new kitchen. How did you decide what you had to do?
  • PRO
    Signature Home Services
    Great job!
  • mkd1202
    Wow! What a difference! They look awesome. I have renewed faith in reusing existing cabinets.
  • Joan
    We had our dark kitchen cabinets professionally painted white and the painters used a product called Krud Kutter to clean/degrease the wood first.
  • mkd1202
    Sounds expensive. New cabinets weren't cheaper?
  • PRO
    Talianko Design Group, LLC
    Год(а)/Лет назад: 8

It's amazing what a difference this makes.

• PRO
    Michelle Yorke Interior Design LLC

Well done!

• Colleen Nolan
    Ever think about adding some crown molding to the top? Would make cabinets look more custom, also a backsplash.