Houzz Logo Print
newnous

Paint & cedar cladding for 70s split

newnous
Год(а)/Лет назад: 6

Do we like this idea?? Suggestions please!

Trying to revamp the exterior of this 70s split that looks like every single house in the neighbourhood and has a twin next door.

Mustard colour = Cedar cladding

SW “Black Magic” bottom front recessed section and front of garage

SW “Web Gray” in left upper corner as well as on rest of house

New MCM-ish front door??

Yes
No (if no, please offer alternative)

Комментарии: 13

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 6

I have saved this photo, just in case I ever found myself in a split. I like the interior layout. It makes sense as to getting space on a budget. Unfortunately, not much attention was given to the exterior esthetics.

So paint it white. How about this solid fence in the front? It changes your house from the norm and you can do a great patio/landscaping behind it.

Envision patio with firepit!

newnous поблагодарил(а): JudyG Designs
  • newnous
    Автор

Thanks for the reply! The house is already white, along with every other house in the neighbourhood, unfortunately! Hoping to modernize it a bit, somehow someway haha :)

• PRO
    Forest + Ash Studio

i like the idea of the cedar cladding. maybe consider having the boards run vertically? and perhaps change out the front door as well, a more modern door, with a single, full length window pain, undivided. good luck!

newnous поблагодарил(а): Forest + Ash Studio
  • Pool Habit

You are on to something but not exactly that. I like Judy Gs picture--stucco all over would look great. What about blue stucco and then some cedar accents. The wildly asymmetrical look is not doing it for me.

• newnous
    Автор

Pool Habit,

I am in a Northern Canadian city, with very cold and wet Winters. I am not too sure how stucco would fair in this climate... I do like the home Judy G posted, however!

• newnous
    Автор

Other option?

• PRO
    JudyG Designs

When we lived in Boston, our home, built in 1913, was all stucco. We have nasty winter weathers, too, and in all the years that stucco held up…not a crack in the facade. Pool Habit’s suggestion of stucco, applied professionally (with warranty) would be a nice solution and make your home look different.

Even left its natural color (mine was like Revere Pewter) like this gray house...

newnous поблагодарил(а): JudyG Designs
  • chiflipper

"Old" stucco (like pool plaster) owed much of it's endurance to asbestos added to the mix. Alas, this is no longer allowed in the USA.

newnous поблагодарил(а): chiflipper
  • Jay L

I'm definitely in favor of adding cedar to the siding!

What about both sides cedar? Otherwise I'd find a smaller area to 'accent' it with.

As far as MCM front doors go, the light teal you have already fits MCM already!

newnous поблагодарил(а): Jay L
  • Jay L

Can you post a larger pic of the original?

• newnous
    Автор

Photo mid driveway shoveling and salting lol

• Jay L

tried editing the picture to have some cedar on the bottom, not sure how well I like it but it could maybe work!

Or cedar just in the middle portion

I don't know if I particularly like either option over potential alternatives, say like wood just behind the door area.