Houzz Logo Print
andr__fernandes36

Decorating a barn conversion

André Fernandes
Год(а)/Лет назад: 6
Hi all.

So we have bought what we describe as the closest to our dream family house we could ask for.

A lovely 3 bedroom converted barn in Mid Wales (converted in approx. 2003). So the barn is in overall good condition but we are aiming a full redecorating including floor change!

The upstairs carpet will be a lovely magnetic grey.

The dilema now is "What colour scheme?", "What style".

We are aiming to keep the country feeling bit would like a touch of modern!

Ideas currently are a possible Dove Grey for skirting boards / door frames keeping the barn style doors original which will match the windows and sills.

Downstairs perhaps a dark slate tile in the kitchen and front door with similar colour scheme for the wood work along with country pale blue cupboards? Living room and sunroom would have a dark solid wood floor.

Lighting will also be a strong point in our little project but so far nothing has come to mind.

Any ideias from your lovely and creative minds would be of great help!

Комментарии: 24

• André Fernandes
    Автор
    Saw some dark oak oiled floor for the living room that I thought would look lovely. Any thoughts? x
  • Juliet Docherty

Lighter floors and darker woodwork can look very smart. What an amazing project.

• PRO
    Woodfloors4u

Hi André,

You have a beautiful property there, and we can suggest several floors that may be what you were trying to achieve.

Going to lighter or darker is the best idea as trying to match is always a difficult option.
    We have attached some links to images of our floors with both dark and light decor.

LIGHT FLOOR

DARK FLOOR

Feel free to have a look through any others and if you have any questions just let us know.
    We do also offer a bespoke hand finishing service whereby we can achieve virtually any colour out there to suit your style.

• Carolina

About the kitchen: I actually like the floor. You could paint the cabinets in F&B french gray and the walls in lime white for example. Change the knobs and I would put a large country style dining table with modern chairs around it.

• PRO
    Discount Flooring Depot

We sell a dark oiled wood floor Titanium Series Engineered Flooring 15/4 x 189mm Oak Smoked & Oiled, it has a traditional rustic feel or if you decide to go light we have a Smoked Brushed and White Oiled floor, either will look great in your open space.

https://www.discountflooringdepot.co.uk/clearance-titanium-series-engineered-flooring-15-4-x-189mm-oak-smoked-oiled-2-81m2-p404

• PRO
    Fisher & Paykel Appliances UK & Ireland

Congratulations! Your new home looks beautiful. We love the idea of the dark slate tile in the kitchen, a great choice for a Welsh home. A touch of Scandi modern style could compliment the country touches?

The current tone of the woodwork on both the floor and windows already looks lovely, but as others have said above - you may find some great alternatives here on Houzz in the inspirational photo section. All the best with the transformation! :)

• André Fernandes
    Автор
    Thank you for all your replies.

I might add a kitchen island to complement the kitchen and move the dining table into the sunroom.

would a dove grey skirting board / door frame create a good contrast with the coffee/chocolate doors? x
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    This simple colour scheme looks lovely and would work beautifully IMO ...
  • André Fernandes
    Автор
    as the windows are stained wood I am thinking of keeping the internal doors the same, was just wondering if the door frame grey will look nice or a bit odd. thank you for your reply
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    Might be a bit odd ?? If you use a ‘paint your picture’ app (Dulux or Crown for example) you will see what a difference painting stained windows and doors makes ... it’s really something that will make a total change... anything else will only be a small change. You could do it in small steps - but it’s sometimes easier to bite the bullet and get someone in to paint the whole lot in one go !
  • minnie101

Congratulations! Personally I'd keep the door frame in wood if you're not painting the doors. You could perhaps consider painting the skirting in each rooms wall colour? I have to admit, I'd keep the existing wood floor, the living room in particular works really well with the doors etc. If you want a dark floor I'd pick one which picks up some of the same tones as the doors and windows. Dark floors can also make rooms feel smaller if there is a strong contrast with light walls so you could look at mid shades. I like the idea of adding an island and there looks to be room. I might look at a flagstone floor with warm tones to go with light blue or you might find the existing floor looks quite good! (2nd pic is similar). Do you have a picture of the exterior re front door colour? As Carolina said, I'd start an ideabook if you're planning a bit of an overhaul. If you have existing furnishings etc that you'll be using I'm sure lots of people on here will have ideas!

• André Fernandes
    Автор
    we've changed our mind, thinking of going all solid wood throughout downstairs. the ideia now is a vintage/rustic feel. like this http://www.diy.com/departments/colours-soren-burnt-oak-solid-oak-flooring-1-48-m-pack/1371902_BQ.prd
    could anyone recommend something that style but more natural? x
  • Oriolus Oriolus
    It looks like a gorgeous house. My concern about redoing it in shades of grey would be climatic - mid Wales is beautiful but undeniably cloudy or raining much of the time and when the outside world is cold and grey it may be a bit much to come into a grey set of rooms!
    Having said that Scandinavia is actually dark half the year. Maybe the answer is piles and piles of (grey) sheepskins!
  • Carolina

I like the look of this, which is engineered. Also, check their solid oak Montbray. I don't know the company, just googled rustic oak floor.

http://www.peakoak.co.uk/flooring/engineered-oak-flooring/engineered-square-edge-rustic-grade/

• PRO
    J.N.Rusticus
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 6

Good Afternoon,

JN Rsuticus has a large selection perfect for a county home. Take a look even just for inspiration.

https://www.jnrusticus.com/furniture-c1

• André Fernandes
    Автор
    we have something like this in mind, any thoughts?
  • André Fernandes
    Автор
  • Carolina

I'm thinking that it is a specific floor and not to everyone's taste. Looks more like something you'd find in a pub or Mexican restaurant. I would not choose it in a home and fear it would a) be difficult to combine with soft furnishings and furniture b) look very busy c) you'll be bored of it in a few years time. Which would be a shame, because it is not something you'd easily replace.

But... if you really, really love it, go for it.

I would personally rather opt for something like this if you like a rustic look:

This would work with any style of furniture.

• PRO
    John Cullen Lighting

Have you thought about your lighting scheme? Barn lighting is not easy to get right especially in beamed buildings where there is nowhere to recess light fittings or there are double height almost cathedral like volumes. Here are some inspirations on how to get it right: http://bit.ly/2mdWNxP

Let us know if you need some help and advice.

Good luck with your project!

• André Fernandes
    Автор
    What light design would you recommend?
  • PRO
    John Cullen Lighting

Definitely think about creating different moods and having a few light intensity levels to match your lifestyle and activity throughout the day.

Here are some inspirations: http://bit.ly/2ApAMlD

Also, consider attending our Lighting Masterclass, where we share our most recent projects and help you learn more about choosing the best LEDs for your project. You can find more details here Andre: http://bit.ly/2CGrh5X 

• André Fernandes
    Автор
    John do you think a strip led light covering the perimeter of the ceiling in the living room would be able to provide enough light? Thank you
  • PRO
    Cormar Carpets
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 6

Hi Andre, what lovely pictures! Is this your new
    home or are these what you’re planning to work towards? The simplicity of a grey floor is very practical investment for any room in the home. Easy on the eye, and not a scene stealer, it makes a great base shade for rooms on floors, walls, curtains or fabrics and suits a range of decorating schemes. You can keep your greys warm, with amber and burnt sienna undertones, or cooler with blush tones and icy blues mixed in. If you’re wanting to enhance the country feel, we suggest you embrace the modern rustic appeal by drawing on the best elements of traditional country designs – such as light hues, distressed timbers, classic furniture and heritage fabrics – and
    offset them with a contemporary colour scheme and uncomplicated approach.