Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_14020132

privacy with glass roof

User
Год(а)/Лет назад: 6

Hi all,

I am planning a side return and want a glass roof (7.5x2m). However, not 100% sure this is the best option for 2 reasons;

1. too much heat - the orientation is south facing and some people say it gets very hot in summer with so much glazing

2. privacy - do not like possibility of neighbours looking into my living room.

I am considering a switchable glass, but this seems quite expensive. Another option is a one way mirror film for the day and some kind of blinds for the night.

Do you have any suggestions/experience with either switchable glass or some blinds for the glass roof that looks neat and minimalist?

Thanks in advance!

Комментарии: 5

• PRO
    HBD Systems

Hi,

I would consider killing the two birds with one
    cheaper stone, so therefore might be worth investigating conservatory/solar
    control glass instead of switching glass.

It would be a
    lot cheaper and last longer as well as actually reducing the solar gain from the
    roof. Switching glass will have almost no effect on the solar gain, but
    tinted glass definitely would as well as adding privacy.

With regards
    to blinds, unfortunately we are temporarily without a supplier for roof light
    blinds. But there are several manufacturers. Just pick the right blind for you,
    and if possible try to get either a Somfy or Lutron system as they are both
    very good. The blind will be your best solution for privacy at night as once backlit both tinted and mirrored security glass become fully see through.

I hope this helps, Jeff @ HBD

• heike_munro

Hi Appletulip, I have the same/similar problem. What did you end up doing and are you happy with it? Many thanks

• User
    Автор

Hi Heike_munro, I am still in the process, but thinking of installing pleated blinds. My skylight is very large 5m by 1.2m. I will probably end up with 4 pleated blinds. What are you thinking for your situation?

• heike_munro

Wow, that is very large. I would love Velux but as my windows are not velux, I am not sure they would supply. Looking at architectural films or electrically operated metal blinds that you can fully adjust. Really weird, no-one seems to have a proper solution yet there must be so many people out there with that problem, some of them surely with a workable solution....

• User
    Автор

yes, I agree with you. Lots of people doing these extensions for a few years now, but still no good solution on the market for a reasonable price... pls keep me posted if you find anything interesting. thanks in advance