Houzz Logo Print
kylie_meldrum71

Help me spruce up my living room

Kylie Meldrum
Год(а)/Лет назад: 6
Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 6

beige couch and walls, black tv cabinet and dark grey carpet. looks very plain. please help!

Комментарии: 13

What a great blank canvas. All you need is the colour(s) that you love. Large artwork ( landscape shape) behind couch, some nice cushions, maybe a grey faux fur to tie in with carpet and the others can be colourful, textured or whatever you like. You could add a throw too. For a coffee table I would consider a round one with a wooden base and glass top. The wood will add warmth to your room and the glass will reflect light. Depending how far you want to go you could also add a lovely rug to define your seating area and also the coffee table. A nice big potted plant where it will get enough light. Have fun with it.
  • Julie Herbert
    Hi Kylie,
    Large artwork, gorgeous cushions and throw, coffee table, large plant and fab lamp and it will look great
  • Julie Herbert
    Just a few more, you have a great area, have fun
  • PRO
    Plush Design Interiors

Hi Kylie, you need a contrast between the wall and the sofa. I'm doing some work with wallpaper and murals which can look amazeballs. The sofa, blind, and carpet are all neutral. Take a little design risk and choose a great wallpaper.

Then pick out 2 or 3 colours for cushions, a throw, and a rug.

• PRO
    North Hem
    You need plants, artwork, a rug and cushions! Choose two colours you like and go crazy!
  • Shelley Brauer

omg some of these ideas to me are horrible ,its not about keeping up with everyone elses style wise its what YOU like ,if theres a style you like google it ,there are millions of pics out there to get ideas and lots on houzz too my advice go with the first comment and actually look at what houzz has to offer there will be similar here in Aus

• annb1997

Hi Kylie. Do you currently have any artworks for the wall behind couch? A large landscape size, as suggested, or a series of smaller ones would create a focal point and add interest, but take your time and have a good look around as there's so much out there! I think adding texture in your soft furnishings, as Julie shows with her pics, will work effectively to balance against the smooth surfaces, ie walls and your furniture. Plants in raised pot stands are one of my favourite things to add in a room, but if you have pets or small children, just ensure they are non toxic.

• girlguides
    Kylie I really like the hot pink in the second picture of flowers which plush design posted either a cushion or may be long rectangle print in similar theme above couch would bring life to room as would say a tall plant in window corner or smaller one on corridor side of tv and maybe a small round timber table next to couch. Enjoy shopping and take your time till you’re really happy with what you choose or buy cheap and experiment
  • lydia1144

You have only the basics in your room presently, so you're good to go. My immediate response is to warm up the space. A large artwork with colours that attract you would be my first buy. Then you can hone in on two of the colours for cushions and throw. Repeat the predominant colour three times e.g. cushions, in a patterned throw, with a pottery bowl/artefact.

Either a coffee table, or even an ottoman that can be extra seating, or with a tray on top a temporary coffee table. A floor lamp for softer lighting, reading etc. and potted plant of decent size e.g. peace lily. Another option would be to house the tv in a unit of shelves, then you'd have a place to add those things that show your personality e.g. books, stack magazines, framed photos, bowls, knick-knacks meaningful to you. It seems to me the wall with the tv against it needs to work harder for you. See photo for an idea, it's a fresh approach to the shelving option. Take some thinking time before acting. Good luck.

• PRO
    Made In Italy Kitchens

Simple elegant living system furniture adds interest and functionality. Finishes and designs can be customised to suit any space.

• User

Yes , my first thought was pretty much along the lines of everyone else -- a large artwork -- personally , I'd go for an abstract with that 'bladed on' look , in either tones of reds and oranges and yellows , OR several blues and maybe green and silver . Go big -- at least 1.5 metre wide by 1.2 tall . There's some cool mixed media ones available for $400-500 on-line , that have bits of tinfoil and corrugated board and the like added too -- certainly adds some visual impact .

Add cushions to match , large candles on the TV cabinet in the same colour pallette , and if you're adventurous , get the blind remade or spray coloured , again keeping to the same pallette to tie it all in .

OR as an alternative , how about the wall behind the couch in fake 3D brick wallpaper ( reddy/orange and cream bricks ) , and the wall behind the TV painted an earth toned orange -- the white couch and black TV cabinet and white wall / blind / ceiling would would contrast nicely -- maybe add a larger white faced clock with bright red or orange numbers -- you've gotten a vast improvement on a budget .

• Sharon Barclay

I love the wallpaper previously mentioned, you can also add a paint colour in different shapes. For eg use the shadow pattern to go from the wall to the ceiling at an angle- this will also give some height to the ceiling.