Houzz Logo Print
jo_in_tx

Keeping original sink when changing granite?

jo_in_tx
Год(а)/Лет назад: 6

Anyone able to do this? I understand that the sink may be damaged, but I really like the sink I have. :(

Комментарии: 9

• barnaclebob

What kind of sink is it. I would expect that most sinks should be reusable.

jo_in_tx поблагодарил(а): barnaclebob
  • jo_in_tx
    Автор

It's a stainless steel double bowl (one bowl larger than the other), and is very deep. We just bought this house, so I don't know what brand it is. My cabinetmaker told me that all the plumbing fixtures in the house are excellent quality, so I have no reason to believe that the sink is any different.

• Chessie

No reason you cannot reuse your sink.

jo_in_tx поблагодарил(а): Chessie
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC

It is very difficult to damage a stainless steel sink. Your sink can be refinished to like new with a random orbital sander and a progressively finer abrasive protocol.

jo_in_tx поблагодарил(а): Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • jo_in_tx
    Автор
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 6

Joseph, thanks so much for that information!

I don't think my cabinetmaker is too worried about damage, but he said that it is a possibility, and we don't want to cut the granite for this sink only to damage it, and not be able to find another just like it!

And it is an undermount sink. Would that make a difference?

• barnaclebob

You'd pretty much have to be negligent to cause an undermount stainless sink to not be reusable. We're talking like dropping a brick in it and creating a huge dent. Even then it would still be usable.

jo_in_tx поблагодарил(а): barnaclebob
  • Fori

Any way to have the sink removed before cutting the new granite? Have a backup in mind just in case and hope for the best?

jo_in_tx поблагодарил(а): Fori
  • PRO
    Econ Granite

Hi, we are granite and marble fabricators and installers. If your sink is in good condition it is reusable. The hardest part of reusing an undermount sink is removing from the old countertop. Your installers might have a very hard time trying to cut the silicone to free up the sink. Be prepared to have some slight damage if they are too rough with it.

jo_in_tx поблагодарил(а): Econ Granite
Sponsored