Houzz Logo Print
mudslingercor

Picking Granite

mudslingercor
Год(а)/Лет назад: 6

Were trying to pick our granite and would like some input. The long piece of wood is the cabinet color, Tile is busy 3rd photo, wood slab is the 14' live edge table that is dining and island. the switch plate represents the hammered copper sink. I like Pic # 1 BUT busy floor with busy granite might be a little much. Any thoughts

Комментарии: 23

• Lou Myers
    Love pic 1 BUT u def need to do a quieter floor with that. The flooring u have will be too busy with either choice
    mudslingercor поблагодарил(а): Lou Myers
  • gurukaram
    If that is your floor, you need a much quieter surface material. Check out Cambria Dovedale
    mudslingercor поблагодарил(а): gurukaram
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 6

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ditch the granite, or ditch the floor. You pick

mudslingercor поблагодарил(а): JAN MOYER
  • PRO
    SJS Interiors
    My first thought is that you will have cabinets between the granite and floor. Visually it might look better than the samples next to each other. Is your kitchen open to other areas and if so what flooring will be there? Your granite is nice looking. If you have an open floor plan I would have the flooring be the same.
    mudslingercor поблагодарил(а): SJS Interiors
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER

It won't look "better" it will look busy as all get out. Pick ONE.

• mudslingercor
    Автор

This is a very large room with the same tile through out. This would be in the "Rustic" design category , this room is almost 700sqft open to a large fireplace (stone) and family room. I understand that modern design would call for a flat quiet counter. But that is unappealing to us for this design. We understand the rules of design and have no problem breaking them.

• mudslingercor
    Автор

This would be the kitchen table very raw it matches the mantle over the fireplace and the very solid teak root coffee table. The couch and chairs will be a weathered brown leather. So pretty rustic

• PRO
    User

Tone down countertop for sure, maybe a white caesar stone with minimal gray veins.

• suzyq53

What is the kitchen like? How much granite?

• PRO
    JAN MOYER

Break all the rules you want. See you back here : ) Do yourself a favor and go look at Soapstone. Far more organic and rustic and a lot less pattern clash. Granite is in every grocery store......in some form or another. That's special?

• PRO
    Linda

How can either the countertop or the floor stand out as a feature when they are busy competing with each other?

• mudslingercor
    Автор

The 14' wood table is the stand out, first thing everyone notices

• gtcircus
    You might want to consider wood counters that match the wood table. I have walnut counters in my butler's pantry and I love them, no issues. As another OP said, also look at soapstone or a very calm quartzite. It's way too much granite - I'd feel like I was in a mausoleum in that room.
  • gtcircus
    Another option is blue stone which is a dark grey and has no pattern. Think about using honed stone.
  • gtcircus
    Belgian Blue stone which is NOT blue.
  • PRO
    Econ Granite

Go for a solid color, if you aren't a fan of quartz there are also natural options that will work for you. Check out https://econgranite.com/materials/ for more countertop options. I suggest doing a quartz, solid colored granite, limestone, or even a soapstone.

• Jamie Thomas
    Can I ask where the table is from? I would imagine custom...and I want one!
  • mudslingercor
    Автор

Hi Jamie, the table is from Bali, we purchased it here is Calgary Canada at Black Diamond Gallery. I fell in love with it and waited for three years for the price to drop from $14000.00- $5000.00. Rusty the owner of Black Diamond Gallery has a factory in Bali and will bring you back anything you want. Great Guy and easy to deal with.

• anniebird

Mud, I love that you do your own thing, but you must be having a gut check or you wouldn't be here asking for opinions. Busy floor + busy granite = too much pattern. Live edge table/counters + hammered copper sink = texture overload. Too much pattern + texture overload = hard to live with/visually unpleasant design.

Which of the assembled pieces is the must have? Sounds like the table is your true love, so embrace it and build the rest of the design using quieter elements. You could get away with the copper sink too, but let the floor and countertops be subtler so your beautiful sink, wood and leather can be appreciated.

There are absolutely spectacular, showstopping gantry faucets from Waterstone that work well with your rustic design...available in living finishes that patina with age like your copper sink will. A faucet like this would be beautiful and special jewelry for your kitchen, but become invisible alongside overwhelming patterns and textures. I mention this to point out that you don't have to pack all the bling into the permanent design elements. Hardware, lighting, fabric choices...all make vital contributions to special spaces. Leave room for them:

• acm

also, it looks like your cabinets have a variegated wood tone, which is another busy surface. another vote for a solid quartz, perhaps a soapstone look -- check out Serena from Silestone, which is a midrange gray with white veins.

• athomeeileen
    I like the second granite for those floors.
    I live in a log home so very rustic, regular decorating rules don't seem to apply as much!
    I have dark slate floors, very busy granite and travertine backsplash. Stone island and fireplace. Wood everywhere. It works for me. Go with your instincts.
    mudslingercor поблагодарил(а): athomeeileen
  • anniebird

Have a look at honed costa Esmeralda granite...neither plain nor boring. Paired with wood floors, your copper sink and the live edge elements, I think it would be elegant and still fit your aesthetic. If you need more bling, copper accent tiles incorporated into a ceramic tile backsplash.