Houzz Logo Print
lomboshouse

Home automation - smart home features

lomboshouse
Год(а)/Лет назад: 6

We are debating if we need home automation in our new build.

I would think that it's nice to have the common area lights "smarted up" as well as the A/C (reverse cycle). We got hydronic heating and with a fairly "predictable" schedule during the week I think we'll be ok to just put this on a timer.

Does anyone have any other devices connected? Any ideas or comments on what to do and what not to would be appreciated.

Комментарии: 8

• PRO
    User
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 6

Hi

We've done automation where just about everything opens and shuts (eg 10 TV's) for $100's of thousands of dollars in a multi million $$ home to simple lighting /aircon and AV in homes...

There is no right or wrong answer, as it depends on both your appetite for it and your budget...but here is what we tend to do...

We do lighting with preset scenes only now as we've found most people still prefer to use a switch, even if it is a simple dimmer press switch.

Those scenes include all off controlled by the bed side in master and at the front door as you go out, to evening mood lighting, to passage only (to eg kitchen) at 20% on movement sensor at night so you can see where you're going on the way to toilet/get a drink, away mode (lights come on and off to simulate someone home), theatre preset (lights and projector/tv set)...

Where a lot of big money is spent and systems become unwieldy is in the level of programming required at the switch itself vs the board and how many commands it needs to do a simple action. We've tried all sorts of systems but generally find the simplest wins all of the time as it is more user friendly.

At present, we are trialling the simplest system we have found so far which is Amazon voice activated service (Alexa) with off the shelf light switches from Belkin (available in eg JB Hi Fi), portable music systems and aircon integration. As it is mostly plug and play wireless it is so far making the hard wired systems we've used before seem overly complicated and expensive.

It is also expandable and once you see what Amazon has in store for us here in Oz re services you can order with it, it can be quite amazing...

If I had to suggest a minimum automation, do scenes that resonate with you for lighting, install SONOS (we do it in EVERY property even if it has no automation), link your aircon, do a scene/macro for the home theatre if you have one and get good internet over Foxtel cable....

Cheers

lomboshouse поблагодарил(а): User
  • lomboshouse
    Автор
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 6

Thank you for your response! We love Alexa! I am not sure we could be without her. I will definitely have a look at the Belkin switch, sounds like a simple solution to start with. and you are right, I cannot see myself mucking around with lights and moods.

• Illuminide Interiors

Hi Lomboshouse.

Automation is one of those things you don't appreciate it or even put on your 'must have' list until you've had it installed or used it in a home. Automation of window treatments, air con, music, lights, security, phones, you name it make you wonder how you ever lived without it before. If you are building and are an a position to install it absolutely do it.

Thanks Paul

lomboshouse поблагодарил(а): Illuminide Interiors
  • PRO
    User

Hi Lomboshouse

We are, of course, a little biased as we live and breathe Smart Home Automation. Without trying to sway your opinion on the Smart Home tech itself, the best advice we can give is to at the very least, wire for it. As we move into an era of highly connected homes, talk to someone about Smart Wiring and a rock solid network and Wi-Fi solution at the build stage. Smart Home systems are completely scalable over time provided the right infrastructure is in place. You will be investing in a frustration free digital life but also the adding value to your home.

Happy to give any advice you may need.

Mat

• PRO
    User

Alexa voice control also talks to/controls Phillips Hue bulbs....

Cheers

• Salencia Howerny

well you can also have automated coffee machine that turn on when you wake up + toast as well

• PRO
    Crown Electrical Solutions

Hi Lomboshouse, home automation will add value and simplicity to your home.

At Crown we offer Control4 smart home solutions that let you control and automate your lights, entertainment, security, climate and much more.

Control4 offers the ultimate home automation solution by marking the devices you already use everyday work together. With one touch you can dim the lights, play music, turn up the heat, lock the doors and arm the security system. Or, have your house respond to your schedule and needs without touching anything at all.

Contact us on 02 4647 4111 or Facebook if you would like any further information. Good luck with your build! :)