Houzz Logo Print
portnoyf

Dish rack on a kitchen island??

Felix
Год(а)/Лет назад: 6
I'm planning my new residential house and need an advice about sink placement... No, I'm not going to ask whether the sink should be placed in an island vs. wall, that topic has been hashed and rehashed many times... Instead, I want to know how you handle a dish rack on the island? In all of the beautiful photos of island sinks, they never show a dish rack! How do you dry your hand washed dishes without messing up the beautiful clean lines of the island??
Currently, we're planning to have 2 islands. The main sink island will have a raised edge to hide the dishes (we'll place a library behind it) and a second semi circle flat island with a small sink on the side. I'm not a fan of the raised edge solution because it reduces the work space... do you have other recommendations?

Thanks!!
Felix

Комментарии: 13

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner

I just place the dishes on a towel that's spread on the counter.

• simstress

I use a drying mat on the counter. I fold it up when not in use. https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/the-original-xl-dual-dish-drying-mat/204386

• PRO
    Ellsworth Design Build
    99% of the dishes go in the dishwasher, we have a tiny IKEA dish rack that fits in the sink for the random hand wash items.
  • Hamma
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 6

I got tired of replacing my dish racks every few months or so (they all tended to get rusty after a while, ugh!). So I spent some more $$ and ended up with this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E7RRYG/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Have had it for two years and it looks like new. No rust whatsoever. Looks good from every angle. It's on my island, which has a sink and faces the great room. (I wash a lot of dishes by hand, baby/kids bottles go on there and so on).

My take on this that it's part of life. My home is not being photographed by "Architectural Digest" right this minute. Real people live here :). I try to keep it neat and organized, but life also happens here, hence the disk rack :).

• jmm1837

I use a portable rack and a drying mat for those few dishes and knives that don't go into the dishwasher. Rack and mat disappear below the sink when I want the counter looking pristine.

• Susan Davis

Have a sink that comes with a drying rack that fits in the sink!

• Judy Mishkin
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 6

i do the towel on the counter for hand washables. i dont own a dish rack.

• PRO
    ReMax - Lisa
    I have a double sink with a dish rack that fits in one side. Not a fan of the super large single sinks.
  • PRO
    Nob Hill Design - Allied ASID

No dish rack. Dry the dishes and put them away.

• hummingalong2
    I have a double white porcelain sink with a white dish rack in one side, it's not that noticeable unless there are a few dishes in it.
  • PRO
    User

Two dishwashers. And USE them both! One can act as a drying rack to the very few bits of non DW safe materials allowed to inconvenience me with their difficulty.

• Angel 18432

I have a double sink with dish rack on one side. I usually rinse dishes and put on rack - ready to go in dishwasher. Then I have a Dollar store mat for putting items that I wash by hand. The mat is folded and put under my recycling basket when not in use. Personally, that's what I dislike about having a sink in the island. It's probably never "free and clear" of all dishes. Having the sink on an outside wall, keeps the island nice and clear/tidy/