Houzz Logo Print
conrad_deejay

Small dining area dilemma

Daniela Conrad
Год(а)/Лет назад: 6

I need help! I just bought my home , and I absolutely love it. The only issue is .. I'm stressing over how to decorate this house! I'm staring with the dining area.. first: I got new cabinets, they have a contemporary style. Added the gray hardwood floors, walls are also a light gray. I bought this light fixture because I thought it was gorgeous! Well.. now, I have no clue what style dining table to get.. help!

should I change the light fixture?

i was thinking a round dining table..?

white? Black?

Experts!!.. HELP!! Lol

Комментарии: 44

• User

Can you take a photo of the dining room looking through the kitchen?

Daniela Conrad поблагодарил(а): User
  • Daniela Conrad
    Автор

It is 8'W x 9'L x 8H , the light fixture I'm not worried about because I can adjust how high it is.

• Daniela Conrad
    Автор

• PRO
    Gantt's Decorating

Considering the space and kitchen cabinets I would go with white. I know grey is very popular now but it makes for a very tiresome drab living space. The white will work with any color. I predict all the people painting grey now will be repainting to color in a few years.

Daniela Conrad поблагодарил(а): Gantt's Decorating
  • katinparadise

How many people do you need to seat? If you go round, you'll only be able to comfortably use a 48" table. With the shape of your chandelier, I would go rectangular.

• Rina

An oval could work for you. I like this, if you're prepared to clean the glass and don't have small kids. I'd pair it with parson's chairs, rather than look for chairs in the same style because then you'd get too many legs competing.

Modrest Skylar Modern Glass Oval Dining Table · Еще

Bassett Mirror Edison Skirted Parsons Chair, Natural Linen, Set of 2 · Еще

I think the light fixture is great, but you may have to lift it a bit. I agree your curtain should hang wall to wall and from the ceiling.

• Daniela Conrad
    Автор

That's actually really nice! I never thought of an oval table!

• Daniela Conrad
    Автор

I'm only seating 4 adults. No kids.

• User

I like the table Rina posted. It brings warmth into the space and adds character. We have a glass table and kids! It's not really that much of a bother to clean, I just had to get used to wiping under the table as well as the top! :)

• katinparadise

An oval is a good idea if you don't need to seat that many. I have one and actually find it easier to squeeze one or two more people around it than a rectangular table. I'd try to stick with a table that's no more than 36-40" wide so you have plenty of space to move chairs in and out.

• elyse58

I wonder if white would be too much given that your cupboards are white. You may want to consider chrome to go with the modern vibe of your kitchen.

• Daniela Conrad
    Автор

I love the blue chairs! Actually the colors im going for with my kitchen accessories lol. I'm not a fan of chrome though.

• Daniela Conrad
    Автор

I started looking into glass tables , and came across this. What do you guys think?

• Daniela Conrad
    Автор
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 6

This, but with different color parsons chairs? Maybe a blue , like color of the chairs elyse sent?

• PRO
    Niche Interiors

I like the light fixture -- a rectangular table would work best here. I would suggest a walnut table with contemporary upholstered chairs. See below for ideas.

Transitional Dining Room · Еще

Contemporary Dining Room · Еще

• kjoy1

Love this one from Crate and Barrel...

• kjoy1

C&B

Daniela Conrad поблагодарил(а): kjoy1
  • schnable1
    My eye was drawn to the two different window treatments. Consider getting similar treatments on the side windows and the patio slider. Work with someone in the window treatment/design field for suggestions that take into account privacy, light diffision and compliments your furniture and decor.
  • hermothersdaughter
    I suggest considering a banquette and a rectangular table. 8' wide is pretty narrow. You should allow 3' on either side for people to be able to push their chair back and get up from the table. That implies a pretty narrow table. With a banquette, you could shift everything towards the wall, allowing for a wider table and leaving more room on the kitchen side for circulation. Search here on Houzz for 'banquette' and you'll find a number of stories with multiple pictures for inspiration.
  • PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images

5-Piece Retro Modern Wood Dining Set · Еще

• PRO

U804, Modern White/Black 5-Piece Dinette Set · Еще

• PRO

Lumisource Clara Dining Set In Black And Clear Finish DS-CLRA7 BK+CL · Еще

• Daniela Conrad
    Автор

Kjoy- I was actually looking at that c&b table! It matches the granite I chose for my kitchen.

Schnable- the curtain was something I had to put up to protect the hardwood I installed from getting damaged by the sun. But, it is the color scheme I'm going for.

• Daniela Conrad
    Автор

What about a table like this?!

• felizlady
    Gray walls, gray flooring. Now you need color and white. Did you choose the drapery on the dining area sliding door? Is that your favorite color? The dining area is not large. If you get a white, 42"-45" diameter round table (in white or a light wood), you can seat six to eight people around it. Use your favorite color for rugs, lamps, accessories. No more gray. Almost any color will work with gray.
  • Daniela Conrad
    Автор

That is my favorite color. Does anyone know what that table with the cross legs is called?

• katinparadise

It's sometimes referred to as a trestle base.

• simstress

Also known as an x base table.

• Daniela Conrad
    Автор

I'm starting to think that table doesn't exists because I can't find it anywhere

• Rina

Also known as a cross leg table. I like it much better than the straight leg one you posted, which I thought looked a bit lumpish.

• Daniela Conrad
    Автор

Exactly! I like it way better but I can't find it ANYWHERE :( I'd buy it if I could!

• PRO

Did you google? It shows all modern, wayfair at least.

• elyse58

It may have been custom made. You should perhaps look into doing that. It may not be (much) more expensive than buying ready-made.

• elyse58
  • Rina
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 6

Elyse makes a good point about custom-making a table, but you might also look for that pleasing shape in plain wood and paint it white. Where I live (Johannesburg) it's relatively easy to buy unpainted pine furniture and paint it. And pine lasts perfectly well. The pine table I'm working was bought in, um, about 1992. Not a dent.

PS I also tried to google for a match. No luck.

• Rina

I rather like that Wade-Logan-Blair table. What a name for a table to burdened with.

• katinparadise

To me, it looks as though the table was custom made with 2x4's and 4x4's.

• housegal200

48" oval white tulip table:

Tulip Table 48" Wood, Oval Shape Coffee Table · Еще

Grade II listed Home Renovation · Еще

• housegal200

Or have a lidded seat-level banquette built under the windows, add seat cushions (buiild banquette same size as standard indoor/outdoor cushions) add an oval tulip table and chairs on one side. You'll gain extra storage and save on space.

Transitional & Eco-Friendly Cottage · Еще

• Daniela Conrad
    Автор

Found this. No glass though

• Joe

Sometimes, it's a shot in the dark but maybe one of these....

It's not exactly the X design but sort of an homage to it. Here

Glass X table but the base looks metal. Here

Can't get a really good read on the base but maybe?. Here

Happy decorating!

• kjoy1

Zgallarie...

Pier1...

• PRO

Check also Room and Board