Houzz Logo Print
julyraine

Fantasy brown backsplash help

Elise
Год(а)/Лет назад: 6
Would this chevron backsplash be too much with this fantasy brown countertop? Cabinets are white shaker. All advice welcome. TIA

Комментарии: 57

• PRO
    Imperial Flooring Inc.

Backsplashes · Еще

I think it looks a little busy, here is a couple of backsplash projects we have done with light countertops
    Backsplashes · Еще

Backsplashes · Еще

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 6

Please listen. You chose the star of the show. There are a million people on these pages who "needed" a star in every corner of the kitchen, and on every surface. You can keep digging with multiple posts, until you have the answer you would like to hear. ......... but the answer you need to hear is one. Your "fantasy" is THE starring element in your kitchen. It needs one very low key supporting actor. You don't even need the herringbone. Simple. Okay? Design is editing.

• Elise
    Автор
    Thank you Jan! Houzz posted the same thing several times because I kept resubmitting when I got the message "failed to upload" or "can not post a this time.." something like that. apparently it didn't fail to upload. I am working with the suggestions, and have purchaser white subway tiles yesterday!
  • Elise
    Автор
    Ugh! *purchased!

Thank y'all for all the wonderful ideas- I'm so glad I didn't make a tacky mistake!! I needed to hear "keep it simple stupid!" :)
  • leelee

The colors match but that's not the whole story. It is too busy. Too much going on in

the splash. It will fight with the lovely counters.

Absolutely no to the "line of mosaic tiles". That is not the type of accent you need with your counters or the cabinets.

• Elise
    Автор
    I agree! Thank you! I bought a very simple and classic subway tile yesterday! :-)
  • leelee

Make sure there's enough contrast between the cabinets and the splash so it won't look like the tiles are yellowed.

Look at the counters from 10 feet away. What is the main color you see? Don't choose a small background color that you can't see from a distance or it will look like a bad match.

• leelee

Can you show pictures of the white tiles with the cabinets and the counters?

• acm

Here are two thoughts for you -- one gray with a similar counter, and one white-on-white pattern behind the stove. I like both in different ways (but I do notice that the patterned backsplash is paired with a Very Plain kitchen)...

Red Brick Rehab outtakes · Еще

Victorian Restoration · Еще

• Elise
    Автор
    Thank you! I'm not sure if you can tell but the tiles are shiny and have some movement to them- almost like an imperfect wave. Also, fantasy brown doesn't photograph well, and is lighter in person.
  • chloebud

It can be hard to tell for sure on a computer screen, but that looks like a good match to me. Those tiles look pretty small...what size are they?

• Elise
    Автор
    Thank you! It really is hard to judge color on a screen. The tiles are a slightly brighter white than the cabinets.
    7.94" long 2.4" tall
  • PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.

I think your white tiles are fine and I like the size. It will look good. Here is a similar tile we used in a kitchen from Walker Zanger that has a bit of undulation to it (no color change) and we paired an arabesque from the same tile line for over the range. I think this is similar to the look you asked about, except you wanted to do a herringbone over the cooktop. Sounds like it would work, but you would need to match up a smaller tile for that (same color) unless you have a really large space over the cooktop. A long tile would not create much of a herringbone pattern in a small space. Love the countertops. Good luck.

Oak Hollow Transitional Kitchen · Еще

• chloebud

Oh wow...the tiles looked much smaller than that to me. I think they could be a good choice.

• leelee

Just to be sure...stand the cabinet door up as it will be vertical when installed.

Stand the tiles up vertically also and then see how the colors look with the counters.

Lighting can make a huge difference.

Those are a good choice if colors pass the test.

• Elise
    Автор
    Thank y'all! I'm going to post a picture when it's done. You all have been so incredible helpful!
  • chloebud

Elise, I can see how the tiles appear brighter/lighter than the cabinets on my screen, but I think they can work. They definitely look perfect with the granite.

Just thinking...my daughter's cream-colored subway backsplash blends with the cream in her granite. However, in her case, the cabinets are lighter/brighter and it all works beautifully. Do post the after pics!

• PRO
    JAN MOYER

Elise, love your very good sense of humor ! You'll be much happier at kitchen end.... guaranteed! Post us the RESULT :)

• Porter Edun

Jan, you are a sweetheart!

• Elise
    Автор
    Soooo it's in! I did herringbone above the cooktop only- what do you think!? Now I'm struggling with the grout color! Suggestions? Don't mind the hood- it's not completed yet.
  • PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.

Match the tile. Don't compete with the beautiful countertop.

• leelee

White grout and a pencil tile to outline the herringbone.

The tile looks very white. Be sure to use a warm yellowish light for your under cab lighting.

• leelee

I should have mentioned not to pull the backsplash out to the front of the counter as you did on the far left. Splashes look better if they stop on the back walls and do not turn the corner. See the right side where it's fine.

Consider removing it before you finish.

• PRO
    Life Automated LLC

Don't think it's too busy per-say, but you need something with a horizontal patter to accentuate the grain of the countertop. Color is kind of a tough call.?.

• Porter Edun

As leelee mentions you might consider something that offers a slight separation between the subway and what you have going on above the cook top. Even a pencil trim as she offered up. You need some divide between the two tile styles.

• Elise
    Автор
    Thanks y'all! I will get the lights, take out the splash that wraps around and work on a border! I didn't even think about it wrapping around, because that's how it was previously, but now that you mention it- I think it will look a lot better not wrapped around.
  • Elise
    Автор
    @leelee it's gone! Good call!!!
  • chloebud

Better! Looks like a certain little cutie pie also approves! ;-)

• Elise
    Автор
    Grout is going in and it looks like great!
  • Mira T
    It looks great!
  • Elise
    Автор
    Thank you Mira T! I was so happy when I woke up this morning and the grout was dry- it looks so nice! The pictures really don't do it justice. I would have royally screwed up without the help here.
  • chloebud

Really nice, Elise! Are you doing the pencil trim?

• Elise
    Автор
    So, about that... he said it would be too hard to cut the tiles that are laid straight to be able to do that and would make the patten look funny. the only way it would make sense, would be if we put the trim on top of what's there.:(
  • Elise
    Автор
    I will say- with it grouted- the transition isn't as noticeable.
  • chloebud

It is less noticeable. I do like the tile color with your counter and cabs.

Just noticed this...are you matching the door hardware to what's on the drawers?

• Mira T
    I think it looks great even without pencil trims. Your kitchen is beautiful! I have similar cabinets (color and style) but I didn't do cup pulls, kinda wondering if I should have.
  • Elise
    Автор
    Thank you so much Mira T!

Chloebud- I will attach a pic of what's on the doors. Does it look ok?
  • chloebud

Elise, they're nice but look a little "lost" with the drawer hardware. However, that's just me...let's see what others think. The important part is how they look to you.

• Elise
    Автор
    @chloebud- I agree with you. They look like they are just floating there. Initially I was not going to do them, but couldn't find anything I liked to go with the cup pulls.
  • chloebud

You can't find round knobs that match the cup pulls?

• Elise
    Автор
    Not anything I liked. :( I'm definitely keeping my eyes open though.
  • chloebud

Do keep looking...I'm sure you'll find something you like that has the right price and more compatibility with the cup pulls.

• jbtanyderi
    Take out the darker tones.
  • anndanen86

I've really enjoyed following this thread, especially since we are about to order our Fantasy Brown!! Would you happen to have any photos of the completely finished kitchen? Thank you for sharing your journey!

• Elise
    Автор

Anndanen86, I am so sorry that I am just now seeing your comment! Would you still like a pic!? How’s your kitchen coming?

• anndanen86

Hi Elise! I would love a photo, if you have time. We just started demolation and it's pretty exciting. I hope all is well with your remodel!

• Carol Kelly

I know this is older, but if you could post a photo of the final product, I'd love to see as well. My FB counters went in a few weeks ago and I'm still deciding on some things.

• Brent Lindberg
    Год(а)/Лет назад: 4

Great thread thanks, Late to the party. Any etching as of yet? Great looking kitchen.

• Tracy Anramowit
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 4

We have fantasy brown countertop, white shaker cabinets and have been struggling on backsplash selection. I agree it is the star of the show and want a modern overall look.

What about a grey subway tile installed linear or horizontally stacked - like the picture on the right.

I haven't seen any examples of that combination so I am having a hard time picturing it. Thoughts please

• Brent Lindberg

That is our kitchen almost. We have the same cabs and counter but are using a horizontal grey almost subway tile backsplash. It is a bit more rounded than the hard rectangles of traditional subway tile. Good luck with yours. We are still renovating so no completed pics yet.