Houzz Logo Print
kmveenstra

Quick help with roof color

Kara Veenstra
Год(а)/Лет назад: 6

My husband and I are having trouble agreeing on a roof color for our new construction. The siding will be Hardie Board in a custom driftwood gray color, and the stone will be Fond du Lac Country Squire from Buechel Stone.

For the shingles, we had been thinking GAF Timberline HD shingles in Pewter Gray, but had read that it might have blue undertones. So we are also considering IKO Cambridge in Charcoal and Owens Corning Oakridge Peppermill Gray.

Any advice? The pictures below are the siding and stone alongside the GAF pewter shingles.

Thank you!

Indoors in natural light

Outdoor in direct sunlight

Комментарии: 5

• PRO
    Saheb Architecture

You may want to drive around and look at the existing homes in the neighborhood. That will help it make it concrete for you.

• CLC
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 6

I agree -- it is so much more helpful to look at a roof with the shingles you are interested in; the swatch can be deceiving.

But with gray stone and gray siding, I think a gray roof will be too much gray and kind of blah. I would choose a black roof for contrast.

I suggest considering GAF charcoal, which might be a good compromise for you (it is mostly black, but it has hints of dark gray in it, so not jet black). The homes with gray siding in our development have black/charcoal shingles and they look great together.

• Porter Edun

We have GAF shingles in the Camelot in Charcoal... it's a lovely color nearing black, but not full on black! I agree with CLC...

whom ever you go with for roofing should be bringing large sample boards in the light of day for you to better visualize this. When we had our roofing done the people told us the homes they had done in the general vicinity with some of the same colors and style, "Camelot" we liked. That helped to snoop the 2 to 3 mile radius and see them on a home. They should know homes in your area for you to see the color on the roof no matter the color of the house even though helpful to see it with your color. I was able to know just by seeing the 3 colors I leaned toward on the roof in the sun.... Hence, I went with Charcoal by GAF vs. too black...

• Kara Veenstra
    Автор

Thank you all! I am going to see some properties with both the GAF Charcoal and GAF Pewter and think that will be helpful. I like the idea of the high contrast between the siding and a black roof, but I thought the softer pewter roof color might match the stone better? The stone has some buff tones which I thought didn't match as well with a near-black roof, but both are pretty neutral so I suppose they have to match! :)

• Rochelle Fisher-Taub
    Год(а)/Лет назад: 5

What did you choose? I have a similar problem... If you can post a picture of how it turned out....