Houzz Logo Print
jiminico

Bifolds or sliding doors

jiminico
Год(а)/Лет назад: 6
Hi I'm not sure which way to go bifolds or sliding doors.
They will be black aluminum frame in my new extension. Extension will be modern polished concrete square set ceilings and floor.
Which would best suit

Комментарии: 26

• Gallifrey

We went for stackers in the last two houses we built. Cheaper and much easier to operate.

• Jo

I'd go bifolds

• jiminico
    Автор
    I must say I am noticing more stackers than bifolds on new developments but I do like bifolds also.
    Which would mostly suit a modern home?
  • zaffa
    My home is very modern and we have gone stackers. 6 x 1m panels with 2 awning windows either side. Both stackers and bifolds look great. I think it comes down to personal choice. I liked the fact that I can slide open one stacker panel and the door does not protrude into our alfresco. I think stackers have less chance of problems with the bifold componentry ..... but again, both look great!
  • jiminico
    Автор
    Ye I've read more likely to have problems with bifold componentry.
    Thanx again
  • zaffa
    Our stacker doors.....
  • jiminico
    Автор
    Mmm nice, polished concrete also.
  • how2girl

Stackers, because you can have security and/or insect screens allowed for in the track system.

• LesleyH
    Stackers so you can flyscreen or crimsafe.
  • PRO
    David Wilkes Design

I find both have their merits depending on the situation. If you're going to have them open a lot, then bi-folds give you the complete opening which is great. If they may be closed more often, then stackers will give you larger glass sections with less frame, but will only give you 2/3 opening when they're fully open. I usually go with bi-folds for smaller spaces, stackers for larger spaces (or with views on a balcony etc). Good luck :)

• jiminico
    Автор
    So do u consider 3.8 as a big or small opening.
    I've gone with 2.4 height, do I leave at 2.4 or go 2.7?
    Ceiling height is 2.8
  • User

If you can go to 2.7, do it! I have no hesitation saying this. You've got high ceilings, so capitalise on them.

It is a personal decision. We went with stackers and we have a 3.5m opening. They stack to one side. 3-panels. We also have fly screens (they have changed our lives!! No more house full of mozzies in Summer!!!).

The reasons why we chose stackers over bifolds- 1. Fly-screens, 2. I can have 1-panel open, partially...or all panels (with bifold- it is pretty much all or nothing), 3. Our ceiling height is 3.3m, and we have 3m high doors- to do this in bifolds $$$$ and major engineering work and then long term maintenance concerns. 4. I am a klutz- I have a phobia of getting my fingers caught up in bifolds, they just look too complicated to me.

• jiminico
    Автор
    Thanx Mel, could u possibly attach a photo of yours
  • User

Happy to. Will take a photo when I get home tonight.

• jiminico
    Автор
    Thanku
  • siriuskey
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 6

Stackers are great, we have 2 x 3.6 openings with 3 panels each which slide back from the corner post, would have loved the bi fold look but the stackers have the best screening

• tessaway
    bifold or stackers definitely not sliding......so passé
  • haephestus

Stackers because they don't take up space when "open" and because it's easier to have flyscreens or security screens.

• User

melissa_nethery's Ideas · Еще

melissa_nethery's Ideas · Еще
    Hi Jiminico,

I'm not known for my photography skills! I took these this morning as I was running out the door. Excuse the visual clutter!

The screens are stacked back (not all the way)- so you can get an idea of the size of the opening when all is stacked back. To have bifolds here would of meant 4 panels (lots of frame and less glass), then the encroachment of the panels into the room when they are folded back.

• siriuskey

Sliders are beautiful for wide simple designs

• siriuskey

Your Stacker doors look great Mel really opens up the space

• C R

Stackers - but at 3.8m they'll probably have to be custom made, its in between standard sizes and the larger of those would be too big (just, brand depending).

• siriuskey

Perhaps a louver window on the right hand side to balance the other return could bring them back to stocked sizes and also ventilation?, but then what difference between custom made doors and the cost of adding louvers/window

• jiminico
    Автор
    I'm actually contemplating making nib a bit smaller . Like taking it back 2-300 mm
  • User

It may depend what is in that nib structurally.