Houzz Logo Print
misshayley

What do you look for when choosing art?

hayley
Год(а)/Лет назад: 6

I am a novice when it comes to picking art. What should I be looking for?

I realise that it needs to be something I like, but what else??? I need to learn from your experience, Houzzers. Please help!

(BTW, I like this kind of art. But that's just me.)

Sigynvagen 7 · Еще

Комментарии: 11

• hayley
    Автор

Thanks John. I like the idea of falling in love with a work. But what about the appreciation of art and the wisdom of it as an investment?

• jmm1837

Start by visiting some of the public art galleries and maybe taking a tour with a guide who can explain some of the key elements of the pieces on display (we had a marvellous guided tour of the NSW Art Gallery).. Wander through every commercial gallery and art exhibit you can. Maybe even take a course in art appreciation.

Art as an investment is for those with a very good understanding of art. Myself, I prefer to simply buy pieces I like - I doubt any of them will be investment pieces ever, but they didn't cost a fortune and they give me pleasure. I've picked up pieces in galleries, street markets, art shows, etc etc. There's lots of interesting original work out there. Take your time, and think of it as art, not as decor to match the sofa.

• PRO
    Lucia Pilotto

Buy the one that awake your feelings, for me that's the best way to choose.

• John Henson
    Investment brings different parameters. Still always buy from galleries or exhibitions of artists you have found that of course you like but now you need to do some research into the artists collectibility. Also if you buy aboriginal art, make sure you get authenticity certificates. Collecting art can be one of the most rewarding experiences. After many years we now have a library of art that we pick through and change our walls when ever we fancy. Some artist we are collecting at the moment are Shannon Hamilton, Emma Blyth, Joanna Lamb. Google them they might have something you fall in love with!
  • LesleyH
    We regularly go to large rural art sbows. Bright in Victoria has 800 -1000 on sale at its annual show. If we both really love it we will buy it. Often we only find one that really moves us both. Some are emerging artists whose price the next year is 40% more. Artists put there work in from all over the country with category prizes also. Not too much room left now since we have purchased large pieces from there and other regional art shows.
  • sarah_eddy6

You can pick up some lovely vintage pieces similar to that one you like on eBay but yes basically anything that you personally love. And definitely not just what matches your decor!

• PRO
    Cipriano Italian Home Design

Have a look at as many underground artists as possible. You will get something one of a kind, at a reasonable price. Artist example

• Jennifer Bradley
    Год(а)/Лет назад: 4

We've tended to buy art when we see something we really like. And then decorate around it. Our entry/dining/lounge is full of art - and to tie them in, we've had them framed with mats in colours that match or blend. But when we go to a sale, such as the Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Island Studies (IATSIS) annual one, and we see several we really like, we tend to go for the one where the colours and shapes will go best with out rooms and existing art. Local sales by groups of artists will often throw up something you like and which is affordable.

• KK1000

I have found lots of nice original watercolour paintings in second hand stores and Salvation Army stores. I change the frame and it looks fantastic for very little money.

• Anne Monsour

This post appears to be from 2017 !