Houzz Logo Print
snuffles_ca

3' tall Longan tree starting to flower/fruit, should I cut it off?

snuffles CA
Год(а)/Лет назад: 7

I purchased this Longan tree last fall and now it's starting to flower/fruit. It's about 3' tall and still in the 3 gal container. Should I cut off the flowers/fruits so the tree can put all the energy into growing bigger? Another forum member said it almost killed his small Longan tree when it flower/fruit. Part of me don't want to do that because I remembered reading how difficult it was for many to get their Longan tree to flower/fruit.

Комментарии: 13

• Chrobrego (Orlando 9b)
    Год(а)/Лет назад: 6

Seriously? Mine is 7 feet high and bushy as heck but not a single bloom in nearly 3 years. Well, I'd remove the flowering pannicle. Too small a tree right now.

• Ethan Hunt

even if you don't do anything with it, I'm sure all the fruit set will drop naturally anyway.

• snuffles CA
    Автор

Chrobrego, 3 years is not that long. Is yours air layered or seedling? It may fruit next year if it's air layered. Another member here is ready to get rid of her 10' tall 7 years old Longan tree. Here's the link:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/1969328/if-this-longan-doesnt-bear-next-year-im-getting-rid-of-it

Ethan, I agree that if the tree can't support the fruits, they will drop. Is that your real name?

I know that seedlings are more vigorous in growth. Mine is air layered and it was NOT leggy when I bought it last Fall. The trunk is thick considering how short the tree is. There isn't THAT much fruit, just 2 spots plus I would kick myself if I cut the fruits off now and then wait another 7 years with no fruit. The tree looks good and I'll really keeping an eye on its health. It's in half shade/sun and we're hitting 80-90 temps here in So CA.

• bananafan2

Snuffles,

How's your longan doing now? The little plant there looks gorgeous--leaves are healthy and blooms fantastic. If you decide to keep the blooms, I hope you get some fruit forming for you. I would keep the blooms too .. just because blooms aren't always guaranteed year on year.

Right now, I have got 3 juvenile longans growing in the ground. One of them actually isn't too juvenile. I got it 9 years ago when it was about 2-3 ft tall. So, it must be about more than 10 years old now. I planted it in the ground at first, but it kept getting sick with white flies. So, I dug it out again and nursed it to health. A couple of years back, I planted it back into the ground and since then it has grown to 8 ft tall with a lot more new leaves, but the white flies came back to attack it. Now that it's bigger, I think it's also more hardy to withstand the white flies attack. I used to clean the sticky stuff off the leaves, but now that it's bigger, it's hard to do that. Anyway, here's a picture of it bearing some fruit now:

Longan Kohala at 8 ft now:

close up of the little fruit formation:

The second longan I have is a Biew Kiew (slightly more than 5 ft tall). I'm

guessing the age is less 5-7 years. It was blooming last year, but I got no fruit from it. This year, no sign of any blooms. Longans have a habit of growing long floppy limps. I just chopped off two of the lanky limps in the middle. If you look closely, you'll see the old dark green leaves beneath the new flushes that shot up.

Here's a third longan which is also a Biew Kiew. It's a little over 5 ft too. No blooms this year. The problem I noticed a while ago was this tree was in

a "frozen" state, meaning the little budding shoots from last year got dried out. I was waiting to see if they would grow, but they never did, so I decided to rub them off the branches. A few weeks later, I saw lots of new flushes coming up. So, I did learn something new.

I was having so much troubles with my lychees and decided to pay more attention to my longans to see if they will perform better for me. At least, with the lychees, they are pretty pest free except for web worms ... which unfortunately is prevalent when there are mature hard wood trees around. Oh yeah, we have some humongous Oak trees around here ... lol.

I hope you enjoy your little longan tree now and hope it'll do well for you in

the years to come.

snuffles CA поблагодарил(а): bananafan2
  • snuffles CA
    Автор

Thank you all for your kind comments and advice. I took pictures of the tree this morning. It's doing good and the fruits have gotten a little bigger. I wish I know what variety it is. I bought it from Mimosa Nursery in East LA. They didn't list the variety.

• snuffles CA
    Автор

bananafan2, your 3 Longan trees looks great! Are they air layered or seedlings? Yeah I read even the mature trees may not fruit every year. I think I read in this forum about using fireworks to force the tree to fruit. Something about the chemicals in the fireworks.

I had to look up white flies since I haven't seen any here in So. Ca. You said you've tried blasting with water. How about using a mixture of dishwashing liquid, with lemon, and water. Or using aluminum reflective mulch. The reflective mulch makes it challenging for whiteflies to find their host plants. Or set out yellow index cards coated with petroleum jelly & dishwashing liquid, spread over small boards painted bright yellow, is sticky enough to catch little whiteflies. To whiteflies, the color yellow looks like a mass of new foliage. The bugs are attracted to the cards, get stuck in the jelly, and die. I got these from here:

http://www.almanac.com/pest/whiteflies

• snuffles CA
    Автор

So I spoke too soon. Most of the fruits have dropped. Only 5

are left. I'm going to repot it into 5 or 10 gallon. It will eventually go in the ground. Should I cut the fruit stems all the way where it meets the main branch?

• loulomhawaii
    Год(а)/Лет назад: 4

Secret to fruiting.

They found out in Canton that trees near the temples consistently floured due to the firecrackers. They use the gun powder chemical to treat the trees to make them flower every year. We initially had great difficulty getting some because it’s a controlled substance but bought some. It worked very well. Then we found out that if you use a bottle of Clorox poured on the tree line when the leaves are mature. It causes the tree to flower every year . My friends tree did not flower for 20 years.he use the bottle of Clorox and now he has a tree full of small fruit

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    Год(а)/Лет назад: 4

Never grown Longan..but that's very common for a first fruiting tropical to have small fruits abort. Avocados NEVER hold a first years fruit. My Honey Mango flowered this year first time..six became one and I'm not betting the one will last much longer.

Was funny though to see a pea sized mango fruit- yellow- fall off and be sweet.

Год(а)/Лет назад: 3

I am having a longan plant 7 years old. It is having 12 ft high and healthy plant. But flowering not started yet. What to do for flowering.

• PRO
    Home and Garden spaces
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 3

Get 2 gals of bleach and pour along the dripline on a hot day. Do not water for 5 days. Let the heat from the sun turn the hypochlorite to chlorate. It won't harm the tree nor does it remain in the soil. Flower buds will start appearing around 4 to 6 weeks. I have done it twice with great success.

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area

Might be safer to just use Miracle grow flower food.

Sponsored