Houzz Logo Print
wayne_asnicar

Facade ideas

W A
Год(а)/Лет назад: 7

Hi all.
We are in the final stages of design for our house. We are happy with the layout but we think something is not quite right with the facade. We like from the left side but not so much the right.

We are open to cladding changes etc.

Love to get people's ideas.

Thanks

Комментарии: 11

• Gallifrey

I think the problem is where the garage is partly under the second storey and partly under the lower roof. If the top level were bigger then the bottom roof would only start at the edge of the garage. This of course would add a lot of cost tot he build.

W A поблагодарил(а): Gallifrey
  • scottevie

Will you have space to the right hand side of the block to plant a good size tree? Foliage obscuring that side of the house from the street might be all you need

W A поблагодарил(а): scottevie
  • W A
    Автор

No. The garage is 1 metre away from the side boundary. The is a 3m high street tree in the centre of the frontage. I am hoping cladding and colour variations make it look alright

• Sammy Elder

The left is clearly vertical panelling downstairs and horizontal panelling upstairs, the right not so much because of the garage door. As LesleyH suggests, render your images and see if that makes a difference to how they look and how you feel about them.

W A поблагодарил(а): Sammy Elder
  • oklouise
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 7

consider having the lower sloping roof on the left and the fascia on the garage and the floor of the balcony made to look as a continuous flat line as seen from the front

W A поблагодарил(а): oklouise
  • PRO
    co-design
    Год(а)/Лет назад: 6

You lack some form of roof over the balcony. This will provide shade and therefore create depth of design with the play of light and shade being enhanced. It also helps to protect the upper floor room from the elements. So either extend the roof out over the balcony or add a sep roof / pergola for an inexpensive way to add to your design. Don't be afraid to experiment now on paper because it will cost so much more when you start building.

W A поблагодарил(а): co-design
  • PRO
    DIMA | Design In Mind Architects

If you make the garage roof appear horizontal/flat from the front without any eave or visible roof, you will notice a huge difference... This could be a flat roof and box gutter to the garage, which would retain the look around the corner. It could also just be a simple parapet in front of the roof as designed, which would be less of an additional cost for you.

I also agree with others, if you can get the lower verandah roof to also appear flat from the front it will benefit.

The reason for this is that it will allow the two roof pitches on the first (upper) floor to become the dominant roof forms. Right now you have 4 dominant roof forms competing. Flattening out the bottom two will allow them to look a little heavier and become the anchor for your building

• Scott Johnstone
    I think the facade lacks depth and balance. As suggested, I'd think about either adding a roof to the balcony that follows the main roof but extends across the extra garage roof, or, perhaps modify the main roof to extend forward and at least the front section sideways. Widen the balcony equally across the garage too. The empty wall area created could have a hardwood screen fill.
  • Bernadette Staal

I suggest you drive around new subdivisions and see what other people are doing in relation to colour, design and texture.

• Sara Wurm
    Balcony needs a roof or some type of shade-cover