Houzz Logo Print
designideas4me

Climate

designideas4me
Год(а)/Лет назад: 7
Will this plant do well in the inland empire,Temecula,zone 9b? Any suggestions on how to keep it healthy and how much water to give? Thanks
Succulent garden vignettes · Еще

Комментарии: 2

• PRO
    Debra Lee Baldwin

This is Aloe ferox, which is hardy to the high 20s F, although there may be some die-back of leaf tips and flower spikes below 32 degrees. It can handle summer heat into the high 90s but will benefit from some shade during the hottest part of the day. Ideal conditions are temps between 35 and 90 with full morning sun and soil at the root zone that is about as moist as a wrung-out sponge. It needs a sunny location in order to bloom, and soil that drains well, ideally a mix of decomposed granite, compost and pumice. Apply a balanced fertilizer in spring.

• designideas4me
    Автор

What fertilizer do you recommend Debra and how long should the plant grow before its applied,or rather can it be given even if the plant is just a baby and hasnt been in the ground long? Any other suggestions for products that might help my small succulents to get established,such as using B-1 or a succulent juice sold at Lowes? Lastly do you like to use the moisture meters to measure wetness several inches down and if so on a scale of 1-10,what number represents the proper moisture for most of these succulents? I am just trying to figure out the best way to determine how often to water them. On the surface the soil is very dry so when you say "a wrung out sponge" you are referring to how many inches down? Thanks for all your help