Houzz Logo Print
isidora_markovic90

How many mirrors do you have in your house?

Isidora Markovic
Год(а)/Лет назад: 7
Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 7

Having noticed that there was at least one mirror per room at home, aside from in the kitchen, I became curious as to whether one large mirror - wall mounted or free-standing - in most, if not all rooms around a house was the norm?

How important are mirrors to you, and is that reflected in how many you have around the house?

Notting Hill Residence · Еще

Do you have more than one, or several in certain rooms, such as a living room, bathroom or even a bedroom? Or do you see them as more of a basic necessity that you don't put that much thought into, and could do with just one of?

And if you have a particularly impressive collection or arrangement, please share a photo with us!

Less than 5
5-10
More than 10

Комментарии: 27

• User
    Other then the decorative input, they're kind of essential really. Not for checking out how gorgeous I am but if I'm at an acceptable level of OK to venture out into world.
  • Jayk

I’m Gerry Rust. We use mirrors a lot. They create magical reflections of our home that enlarge, lighten, intrigue and trick the eye. Currently considering distorting mirrors!

• Jayk

Sorry - meant to say I'm with Gerry Rust!

• Gerry Rust

Glad you added that or I might have been forced to contradict you, as last time I checked I'm pretty sure I'M Gerry Rust :D Loving the sound of the distorting mirrors, are we talking hall of mirrors at the fairground type distorting? If so I could be in the market for the one that makes you look incredibly thin....

• PRO
    Fusion interior design

I'm Spartacus! :D

• PRO
    Fusion interior design

Over 10 (had to count and was a bit surprised) As JayK said "Magical reflections." There are times something catches my eye and I can't work out how I've seen it because it's been reflected off a couple of mirrors :)

• C S

We use them for bouncing light around mostly, and one almost purely for decorative purposes (but it also reflects some light in a dark room), There are three that are used for checking appearance - a long one in our bedroom and two small ones in the spare room and bathroom.

• Coco Nuts

Have so many my son's friend once asked him "Is there someone very vain in this house?" My clued in son retorted "No, it's an interior design trick, makes rooms look larger". I taught him well, I did.

• Coco Nuts

• Coco Nuts

Etc etc

• stebonheath

Paintings and art works are quite a personal choice and not everyone likes the same things. With mirrors, however, most people do.

• sianember

I have 35 mirrors in the house & maybe 20 in the garden

• lessher

Found these and the old family pictures in he attic. They make a blank and boring kitchen wall a bit more interesting.

a

• Jayk

Hello sianember. Can you tell us more about how you use mirrors in the garden? And what type of mirrors you are using?

• marivon1

Mmmm, had to do a little count - 19+ !! :o My daughter has two walls of fitted wardrobes that are mirrored in her dressing room. In my defence, most are "interior design" based. i.e. I have two identical ones in the hallway, they are for design and symmetry; the others are (i'll jump on the bandwagon here) "for bouncing light around" !

• sianember

Jayk all the mirrors I use inside & out are from the tip or charity shops. I do up the frames for the internal ones - hence the stupid amount I have. In the garden I try to get hold of the longest mirrors I can, old wardrobe doors are the best as they tend to be thick glass. If you can imagine a mirror sandwich - I have a heavy panel fence, then a mirror in the middle, then big chunky trellis in front of that. it's not super professional as it would be if I could get hold of uniform sizes of mirrors but it reflects light in a fairly shady garden & gives the impression that the garden is wider than it really is. I'll dig out a photo at some point.

• Jayk
    Thanks. That a very good approach. I look forward to seeing a photo.
  • PRO
    King and Webbon

After buying some eBay Art Deco style mirrors and not being entirely happy with the quality, decided to make my own with some mountain-inspired Art Deco details. I made it big which has transformed the sense of light in the living room where it now hangs. Never had a mirror this big but I'd be tempted to go even bigger in the future for a living room.

• sianember

not the best of snaps but gives the idea....

• Jayk

Thanks Sian. The mirrors are very effective behind the trellis. They provide a very natural look. I have a space where this could very well work. Now where's my tape measure ... ?

• Isidora Markovic
    Автор

@sianember - 35!! That's quite the collection! Would love to see an internal one with a restored frame.

@King and Webbon - how long did it take to make?

Keep the photos coming everyone!

• sianember

Isidora Markovic, they're more aptly described as "pimped" than restored I think... A selection, I haven't got photos of everything but foil & papier mache figure a lot...

• Isidora Markovic
    Автор

Thanks for sharing - I absolutely love second, the second to last and the gold shell ones! Do they take much time to "pimp", or does it vary quite a bit depending on what's being done?

• sianember

Isidora Markovic - It depends on the medium really, papier mache is relatively quick & very versatile but does need drying time, the shell one took a while mainly due to paint drying time. I used Hammerite which will stick to anything but does take a while to dry, artist's acrylic would be quicker but it's expensive, that photo doesn't really show how big the mirror is. The stamps mirror was fairly quick to complete but again there's drying time for the varnish, 2 coats minimum. The foil ones take an absolute age as they're really fiddly & intricate, every time I finish one I swear it will be the last...

• PRO
    King and Webbon

@Isidora Markovic - took about 4 days in total. Worked on it in the background while completing other projects.

• Gerry Rust

sianember - Love the mirrors! They bring back happy memories. I have a business 'upcycling' furniture - although I've been doing it for over 20 years now and recycling was hardly a thing, let alone upcycling, in those days :D - but I started out selling mirrors on Greenwich market. A friend and I would find old mirrors in junk shops (this was in the halcyon days when every high street had at least one, sadly they are few and far between now) and we would 'pimp' them and sell them. We were particularly fond of using shells as they were free, meant we got to spend a day at the seaside and we could use the children to collect them!